Vegware, the completely compostable packaging firm, has made a special case study cup showcasing how Royal Bournemouth Hospital (RBH) has made a 70% saving on waste costs and become a zero waste Trust. Specially designed for the NHS Sustainability Day roadshow hosted by RBH on the 6th February, the compostable cup can be simply composted together with food waste after use.
Ahead of NHS Sustainability Day on the 27th March, the UK-wide roadshow of 6 events aims at making the health service more sustainable, sharing ideas and inspiring others to go green.
Steven Fall, RBH Sustainability Officer, said, “The NHS has a significant environmental impact within the UK, but through combining knowledge of successful case studies and actions we are able to reduce this impact and promote a more sustainable health service.”
In 2010, RBH’s catering unit switched from conventional packaging to a wide variety of Vegware’s completely compostable disposables, opening the door to improved recycling. Used packaging had previously gone to general waste, and incinerated to create energy. Now, food waste and compostable disposables are composted together taking just 6 weeks, reducing catering waste costs by 70%. In 2013, this zero-to-landfill NHS Trust composted 13 tonnes of used packaging, returning nutrients to the soil.
Steven Fall, RBH’s sustainability officer says, “By switching to Vegware products we have increased our commitment to sustainability within the Trust and I think it is important that other NHS Trusts consider this switch too.”
The specially designed cup showcases RBH’s achievements in waste management and will be available at the roadshow and will also be sent out to other trusts across the country.
Run from its Edinburgh HQ, Vegware is now a global brand with operations in the UK, US, South Africa, Australasia and now UAE, with a Europe-wide network of distribution partners from Iceland to Portugal. UK clients range from the biggest contract caterers and food distributors through to government offices, NHS units and independent artisan cafes and delis.
All Vegware’s catering disposables are made from recycled and sustainably sourced eco materials and are completely compostable – so unlike most foodservice packaging, Vegware can be simply recycled after use. Vegware’s non-profit initiative The Food Waste Network is a free service matchmaking any UK business with local food waste collections and promoting zero waste.
Notes to Editors:
1. Vegware has won over 30 awards and accolades since 2009, including two Scottish Parliamentary Motions – full list here.
2. Vegware’s zero waste initiative The Food Waste Network is mapping all UK trade food waste collections by postcode, and offers a free matchmaking service for any UK business seeking food waste recycling. www.foodwastenetwork.org.uk
3. Vegware is a Founding Supporter of WRAP and Zero Waste Scotland’s Hospitality and Foodservice Agreement which is uniting the foodservice sector around two targets: reducing food and associated packaging waste by 5% and recycling over 70%. Vegware’s pledge to support this is the Food Waste Network – see our HaFSA blog Food Waste Stories.
4. The Vegware Community Fund gives small monthly grants to 13 non-profit sustainability projects, with a new recipient being added every quarter as Vegware grows – info here.
5. Royal Bournemouth Hospital’s achievements in waste management were recognised by the Footprint Awards 2012 and were also the subject of The Telegraph’s video case study on sustainability now being affordable – view it online: http://goo.gl/PCI5J1
6. 6 national NHS Sustainability Day roadshows will be help across the country ahead of NHS Sustainability Day on 27th March 2014.
7. Royal Bournemouth Hospital will host a NHS Sustainability Day road show on the 6th February. Companies such as EDF Energy, Aquafund and The Soil Association will also host presentation and workshops on the day.
Vegware Ltd is the UK’s first and only completely compostable food packaging company. The multiple award-winning firm specialises in the development, manufacture and distribution of compostable packaging for foodservice. Vegware’s Food Waste Network matchmakes any UK business with local food waste recycling services. Vegware invests in product development and has brought many compostable innovations to market, including hot cup lids, double wall cups, high-heat cutlery and soup containers.
Clients range from the UK’s biggest contract caterers and food distributors through to UK government offices, NHS units and independent artisan delis and cafes. Vegware was founded in 2006 and the global operations are coordinated from its HQ in Edinburgh, UK. The firm’s eco products are available worldwide through Vegware US, Vegware South Africa, Vegware Europe, Vegware Australia, now Horeca in UAE, Friendlypak in New Zealand as well as a Europe-wide network of distribution partners from Iceland to Portugal. Visit www.vegware.com for the full catalogue and further information.
Further information, interviews and more:
email@example.com / 0845 643 0406 / @vegware
Lucy Frankel, Communications Director, Vegware
firstname.lastname@example.org / 07906 635 139 / @lucyfrankel
· High res image of RBH cup (front and back) here
High res image of RBH cup (front) here
High res image of RBH cup (back) here
· High and low res images of our products, people and award wins can be found here. Low-res images include _800x in the filename and high-res images do not.
Vegware is a manufacturer and visionary brand - the only completely compostable packaging company operating globally. The multiple award-winning firm specializes in the development, manufacture and distribution of environmental foodservice packaging. Vegware offers full recycling support and its Food Waste Network is a hub of specialist knowledge and advice on zero waste in foodservice. Vegware invests in product development and has brought many compostable innovations to market, including hot cup lids, double wall cups, high-heat cutlery and soup containers.
Clients range from the UK’s biggest contract caterers and food distributors through to UK government offices, hospitals and independent artisan delis and cafes. Vegware was founded in 2006 and the global operations are coordinated from its HQ in Edinburgh, UK. The firm’s eco products are available worldwide through Berk Enterprises in US, Vegware South Africa, Vegware Europe, Vegware Australia, Horeca in UAE, Friendlypak in New Zealand as well as a Europe-wide network of distribution partners from Iceland to Portugal. Visit www.vegwareglobal.com for the full catalogue and further information.
Vegware Ltd is registered in Scotland, company number SC331521 at Canalside House, 43-45 Polwarth Crescent, Edinburgh, EH11 1HS.