As part of its three-year, industry-wide campaign to stimulate and drive sales of lamb, EBLEX has produced a new book featuring a range of alternative cuts from the shoulder, loin, leg and breast.
The campaign was launched following a period of reduced supply, coupled with little innovation in new cuts, which saw lamb losing out to other proteins on the menu.
The cuts featured in the book ‘Putting Lamb Back on the Menu’ are renowned for their value, as well as flavour and succulence. Yet they are all too often overlooked by chefs, simply because they require a little more time and care to cook.
Research carried out by Leatherhead Food Research revealed that the majority of the 24 cuts featured in the book can be grouped into two main clusters which share the following attributes:
- ‘Tender, high-quality, good colour and lean’
- ‘Flavoursome and tasty’
The book launch marks the culmination of EBLEX’s nationwide ‘Five Star Lamb Tour’ of Quality Standard Mark Scheme approved farms, each of which was specially selected to highlight the unique qualities of different breeds reared on a diverse range of terrains.
Attended by chefs, foodservice operators, catering butchers and suppliers, the tour provided the opportunity to showcase the range of added value lamb cuts and encourage caterers to reintroduce this popular meat onto menus.
To further inspire chefs, the book also features a collection of recipes using cuts from the shoulder, loin, leg and breast developed by top chefs, including Andreas Antona, Chris Wheeler and Nigel Haworth.
EBLEX foodservice project manager, Hugh Judd, said: “The Lamb Tour provided a fantastic opportunity to bring the supply chain together and showcase our range of fantastic cuts from the shoulder, loin, leg and breast. Many of these are ideal for sous vide or slow cooking and all of them produce wonderfully succulent and flavoursome dishes at a very reasonable price.
“The tour also clearly demonstrated that no matter what the breed or terrain, chefs and their customers can rest assured that lamb sourced from Quality Standard Scheme approved farms comes with a consistent guarantee of eating quality.
The Quality Standard Mark Scheme for beef and lamb is an independently inspected assurance scheme that incorporates guarantees of food safety, animal welfare, care for the environment and enhanced eating quality. New standards and specifications for Quality Standard Mark beef and lamb, which cover animal age, carcase classifications and maturation, have recently been added to the scheme by EBLEX as part of its commitment to drive demand for beef and lamb in the foodservice sector.
‘Putting Lamb Back on the Menu’ can be downloaded from www.eblextrade.co.uk and printed copies are available to members of the Quality Standard Mark Scheme. To order, call the scheme Hotline on 0845 491 8787.ENDS
Notes to editors:
The featured cuts are:
· Victoria Mini Roast (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L009)
· Shoulder Noisette Joint (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L010)
· Lamb Rosettes (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L014)
· Neck Fillet (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L016)
· Rack Six-Rib (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L011)
· Knuckle (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L017)
· Lamb Spatchcock (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L030)
· Lamb Rib-Eye Joint (EBLEX Code: Forequarter L031)
· Premium Lamb Cannon (EBLEX Code: Loin L016)
· Premium Lamb Sirloin (EBLEX Code: Loin L015)
· Premium T-Bone Chops (EBLEX Code: Loin L021)
· Short Stuffed Saddle (EBLEX Code: Loin L005)
· Rack Seven-Rib (EBLEX Code: Loin L044)
· Fillets (EBLEX Code: Loin L026)
· Valentine Steaks (EBLEX Code: Loin L022)
· Minced Lamb 95% Visual Lean (EBLEX Code: Loin L001)
Lamb Leg & Breast Cuts
· Rump Portion (Boneless) (EBLEX Code: Leg L030)
· Premium Carvery Leg of Lamb (EBLEX Code: Leg L005)
· Shank (EBLEX Code: Leg L022)
· Mini Roast (Thick Flank) (EBLEX Code: Leg L013)
· Mini Roast (Topside) (EBLEX Code: Leg L011)
· Leg Noisette Joint (EBLEX Code: Leg L014)
· Rolled Belly of Lamb (EBLEX Code: Breast L013)
· Ribs – Individual (EBLEX Code: Breast L009)
For further press information please contact Claire Bradley at HD Communications Limited.
T: 01932 445276 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
EBLEX is the organisation for beef and lamb levy payers in England and is a division of the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB).
It exists to enhance the profitability and sustainability of the English beef and lamb sector. Its aims are:
- To help the beef and sheep meat supply chain become more efficient
- To add value to the beef and sheep meat industry.
The EBLEX Trade Marketing team supports businesses throughout the retail and foodservice supply chains for beef and lamb. From abattoirs and processors to wholesalers, independent and multiple retailers and foodservice operators, we work with businesses to improve their operational effectiveness and assist with beef and lamb product development, marketing and promotion. Visit our website. Twitter. Facebook.