Skip to main content

Man jailed after pleading guilty to sexual activity with a child

News   •   Aug 19, 2019 16:40 BST

A man is behind bars for six years after pleading guilty to three counts of sexual activity with a child when he was sentenced at Kingston Crown Court today (19 August).

Diiriye Ali-Jamac, 34, of Farm Drive, Feltham, Middlesex, pleaded guilty to the three counts at an earlier hearing on 1 August. His victim was just 14 years old at the time the offences took place.

He was also given an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

The investigation was launched after the victim was reported missing by her mother on 28 April. The victim was found by officers at Hounslow train station the following day.

She was taken into police protection where she later disclosed after arranging to meet Ali-Jamac, he had taken her to a hotel and had sex with her.

Officers from the North Surrey Exploitation and Missing Unit carried out various enquiries, which involved analysing CCTV from the hotel, to identify Ali-Jamac.

A wanted marker was placed on the police national computer which flagged up at Heathrow airport, and Ali-Jamac was detained on board a flight to Ethiopia on 2 May. Further enquiries revealed he had bought a ticket to Ethiopia the day before.

Examination of Ali-Jamac’s mobile phone showed that he had received a text message on 1 May from the owner of the car he used to drive the victim to the hotel, telling him that the vehicle had been stopped and seized by police in relation to an allegation of sexual assault.

Officers also found a text message from Ali-Jamac’s solicitor on 1 May saying he had received a voicemail from him and had tried to call him back, and asking him if everything was ok.

Ali-Jamac was subsequently charged and remanded.

Detective Constable Sally Michail from North Surrey’s Child Exploitation and Missing Unit, said: “I would like to commend the victim for her bravery in speaking out against Ali-Jamac and having to re-live the horrendous ordeal she had suffered at his hands all over again when she provided her statement.

“She was completely taken in by this man, who was 20 years her senior and someone she thought she could trust. As soon as he became aware that police were on his trail, he tried to leave the country but fortunately we intercepted him as he boarded his flight.

“I would like to thank the team who worked on this investigation for the sensitive and professional way they dealt with the victim to gain her trust so that she felt supported in giving her evidence, and for their relentless pursuit of Ali-Jamac, with officers working a 28 hour shift, including trawling through CCTV footage from the hotel, to ensure that he was identified as quickly as possible.”

DC Michail added: “I would continue to encourage anyone who has been the victim of similar offences to come forward and report it to us straightaway. You will always be taken seriously and support and guidance will be provided to you by our team of specially trained officers.”

For more information and advice, please go to our web site