Dec 11, 2013 14:46 GMT Rochdale Borough Council Generous Rochdale Borough Council employees joined in with the season of goodwill and t...
Capita Conferences releases details of Moving Education Forward in Education event - Friday 6th July - Central London
Capita ConferencesMay 09, 2012 16:19 BST
Ofsted’s recent report, Moving English Forward, has found that standards in English are not yet high enough. Capita’s Moving English Forward in Education Conference provides delegates with the latest research and evidence driving this agenda, in order to answer the question: how can attainment in English be raised?
From September 2012 Ofsted will be implementing changes to its inspections arrangements aimed at focusing more directly on reading and literacy. Schools with the lowest achievement levels in literacy will be prioritised for inspection.
As part of a renewed national drive for higher standards, Ofsted recommends that all schools should focus on core areas, including:
- Developing policies to promote reading for enjoyment
- Ensuring that preparation for national tests and examinations is appropriate and does not limit creativity
- Improving transition and continuity in curriculum and assessment between Key Stages 2 and 3
- Simplifying lesson plans in English to concentrate on key learning objectives
Attend this timely event to take part in tailored sessions designed specifically to offer advice and guidance for primary and secondary schools on these key developments. Don’t miss this opportunity to take away practical advice from current best practice around the country and ensure you are meeting national targets for standards in English across the entire cohort.
- Chair: Miranda McKearney, Chief Executive, The Reading Agency
- Philip Jarrett, HMI Subject Advisor for English, Ofsted
- Simon Gibbons, Chair, National Association for the Teaching of English
- Steve Willshaw, Senior School Improvement Consultant, Lincolnshire School Improvement Service
- Nicole Henderson, Vice Principal for Training and Learning, Don Valley Academy and Performing Arts College
- David Deane, Headteacher, St Thomas Canterbury Primary School
- Patrick Winston, Principal, St Paul's Academy
Benefits of Attending:
- Hear how Ofsted will be refocusing inspections to drive up attainment in literacy and English
- Understand the impact of effective subject leadership in the teaching of English
- Explore how to improve transition and continuity between Key Stages 2 and 3
- Discover how to bring English to life and promote a love of reading
- Find out the latest strategies for teaching phonics effectively
- Hear practical tips on how to develop pupils’ speaking, listening and writing skills
- Gain insight into how to embed a whole school approach to promoting reading
For further information, please see: