GIS System

Filing Work Injury Claims following a HAVS

Blog post   •   Oct 25, 2012 08:53 EDT

HAVS, also referred to as Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome, can be treated as a work injury and those suffering from this particular disease can consider filing an injury claim against their employer. The people undergoing HAVS suffer a lot and, at times, they fail to hold things and any work due to the problem.

HAVS is also regarded as Vibration White Finger (VWF). It is basically a disabling condition in which the nerves and blood vessels are badly affected. Tingling, blanching and numbness of fingers are some of the most prominent symptoms of HAVS. A worker suffering from this condition often loses control of his fingers. He might experience the loss of dexterity and find the simple tasks difficult. Tasks like fastening shoe laces and eating food can seem difficult for a person suffering from HAVS. One the symptoms have shown up, the effects might e permanent. The symptoms of the disease might intensify during the winter season.

Let us concentrate on some of the major reasons behind HAVS. As per the reports published by the health and Safety Executive (HSE), more than 2 million workers run the risk of being affected by this type of problems. The workers who deal with vibrating tools and hand-held machines on a regular basis are mostly affected by HAVS. The regular use of jackhammers, powered wrenches, lawnmowers, grinders, chainsaws, nut guns and high pressure hoses can lead to HAVS. Typically, the workers involved in the following domains of work run an increased risk of developing HAVS:

  • Heavy engineering industries
  • Foundries
  • Grounds maintenance
  • Road maintenance

What to do if you recognize the symptoms of HAVS? You should contact your GP if you undergo the symptoms of HAVS. If your GP confirms that you are suffering from HAVS, you can get in touch with solicitors for filing injury claims.

As soon as you know that you are a HAVS patient, you should inform your employer who should alter your working practices. If your employer is not ready to pay attention and sympathetically consider your problems, you can report the HSE and file injury claims in the court.

There are many employers who show the willingness to go for an out-of-the-court settlement to avoid the complex process of filing claims. You can ask your solicitor to negotiate with your employer and convince him to settle the case out of the court.

If your employer is obstinate enough to take the case to the court, you can ask your solicitor to plan the course of action to file a work accident case in the court of law.

The lawyer will assess the case and find out if the case can win you a good amount of compensation. He will refer to the similar types of cases won previously to provide you with an estimate of the compensation you can expect. It is always better to get help from a no win no fee solicitor and file an injury claim case following your HAVS symptoms.