In Path of Exile, do you know poison? It is an ailment that deals chaos damage over time to the affected target. A hit of damage that has a chance to poison is capable of inflicting poison. Only physical and chaos damage are able to inflict poison.
1. Poison is a cumulatively stacking debuff. Each application - or 'stack' - of poison remains present on the target dealing chaos damage over time until it runs its course. There is no limit to the number of poison stacks a target can have. A single "hit" can apply a maximum of one poison stack, therefore having more than 100% chance to poison is redundant.
2. The base damage per second dealt by a given application of poison equals 20% of the combined physical and chaos damage of the base damage dealt which applied that particular instance of poison, poe orbs buy is an good choice for you.
3. As an ailment modifier, stats modifying spell damage and attack damage do not apply to poison, nor damage modifers that are only affected by the skill.
4. The following modifiers will directly affect the damage of poison: Damage, Damage over Time, Chaos Damage, Poison Damage. Trap, mine, minion or totem damage modifiers will also affect the damage of poison if it is applied by a trap, a mine, a minion or a totem respectively.
5. The default base duration of poison is 2 seconds. Viper Strike inflicts poison with a base duration of 4 seconds. Increasing poison duration with the Temporal Chains curse results in a longer-lasting poison that deals damage at the same rate.