About Small Cell Lung Cancer Market
Initially considered a curable disease due to substantial sensitivity to first-line chemotherapies, small cell lung cancer (SCLC) remains a fatal disease with poor outcomes due to high relapse rates, with the majority of patients surviving one year or less after diagnosis. Unlike non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), in which major advances in treatment have been made following the approval of several targeted therapies, the field of SCLC has seen little advancement for several decades.
For the purposes of this report, GlobalData considers the Global SCLC market to include SCLC-specific drug sales in the 7MM (US, 5EU [France, Germany Italy, Spain, and the UK], and Japan). The current market across these countries is dominated by the sale of major generic chemotherapy regimens. GlobalData estimated that the Global SCLC market was valued at $198m in 2014. Following the expected approval of new agents over the forecast period, relapsed/refractory patients will have significantly improved therapeutic options leading to rapid uptake of these drugs. The increased use of branded therapies in treatment-nave and advanced patients, such as Yervoy, Opdivo, roniciclib, and sacituzumab govitecan, will be the primary driver of the substantial growth in the SCLC market over the forecast period, which is expected to grow at a positive CAGR of almost 28% in the 7MM.
Key Questions Answered
- Based on interviews with key opinion leaders (KOLs), GlobalData has identified the major unmet needs in the SCLC marketplace. Will the leading pipeline agents fulfil these unmet needs during the forecast period (2014-2024)?
- What research and development (R&D) strategies will companies leverage to compete in the future SCLC marketplace?
- Which pipeline products are poised to make a major clinical and commercial impact?
- What clinical and commercial factors are likely to influence SCLC drug uptake in the 7MM?
- The greatest driver of growth within the Global SCLC market will be the launch and increased use of premium-priced therapies, including anti-PD-1 immunotherapy and targeted agents such as roniciclib and sacituzumab govitecan. GlobalData expects Yervoy to reach blockbuster status by the end of the forecast period, with global sales of around $1bn.
- Continuous dosing regimens until disease progression and adoption of maintenance setting following induction therapy for first-line patients will contribute to the increased sales of branded drugs.
- Toxicity is likely to remain a major concern as new first-line treatment options are approved considering companies are developing them in combination with platinum-etoposide. Therefore, substantial opportunity remains to develop therapies that have improved safety profiles compared with agents in the current SCLC pipeline.
- An increasing emphasis on cost-consciousness is anticipated over the forecast period, which will limit premium pricing opportunities for developers of SCLC pipeline agents. GlobalData expects this era of austerity and healthcare reform to make it increasingly more difficult for pharmaceutical companies to gain reimbursement approval for their new SCLC therapies.
- Overview of SCLC, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current treatment options.
- Topline SCLC drug market revenue from 2014-2024, annual cost of therapy (ACOT), and major product sales in six patient segments during the forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, opportunities, R&D strategies, and clinical trial mapping for the SCLC market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, synopses of innovative early-stage projects, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline products. An interactive clinical and commercial analyzer tool is available.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global SCLC market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints, and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global SCLC therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the SCLC market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 9
1.1 List of Tables 13
1.2 List of Figures 17
2 Introduction 19
2.1 Catalyst 19
2.2 Related Reports 19
2.3 Upcoming Related Reports 20
3 Disease Overview 21
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 21
3.1.1 Etiology 21
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 22
3.2 Symptoms 23
3.3 Diagnosis 24
3.4 Clinical Staging 26
3.5 Prognostic Factors 29
3.6 Quality of Life 29
Send An Enquiry Request @
4 Epidemiology 31
4.1 Disease Background 31
4.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 32
4.3 Global Trends 34
4.3.1 Incidence 34
4.3.2 Stage at Diagnosis 34
4.3.3 Relative Survival 34
4.4 Forecast Methodology 35
4.4.1 Sources Used 36
4.4.2 Sources Not Used 42
4.4.3 Forecast Assumptions and Methods 43
4.5 Epidemiological Forecast for SCLC (2014-2024) 47
4.5.1 Diagnosed Incident Cases of SCLC 47
4.5.2 Age-Specific Incident Cases of SCLC 49
4.5.3 Sex-Specific Incident Cases of SCLC 51
4.5.4 Age-Standardized Incidence of SCLC 53
4.5.5 Stage-Specific Incident Cases of SCLC 54
4.5.6 Five-Year Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of SCLC 55
4.5.7 Five-Year Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of SCLC Segmented by Stage 57
4.6 Discussion 58
4.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 58
4.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis 60
4.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis 61
5 Current Treatment Options 62
5.1 First-Line Therapy 62
5.2 Second-Line Therapy 68
5.3 Subsequent Lines of Therapy 71
6 Unmet Needs Assessment and Opportunity Analysis 73
6.1 Overview 73
6.2 Unmet Needs Analysis 74
6.2.1 Early Diagnosis of Disease 74
6.2.2 Therapies That Improve Overall Survival 76
6.2.3 More Effective and Tolerable Therapies for Relapsed/Refractory Disease 78
6.2.4 Discovery of Predictive Biomarkers and Understanding of the Underlying Causes of Disease 79
6.2.5 Smoking Cessation Programs 80
6.3 Opportunity Analysis 81
6.3.1 Standardized Methods for Biomarker Testing 81
6.3.2 Developing Therapies with an Improved Safety Profile 82
6.3.3 Understanding the Mechanisms Underlying the Rapid Emergence of Drug and Radiation Resistance 83
6.3.4 Targeting Pathways Unique to Cancer Stem Cells 84
7 R&D Strategies 85
7.1 Overview 85
7.1.1 Deconstructing the SCLC Genome 85
7.1.2 New Diagnostic Approaches 89
7.1.3 Reformulation of Available Chemotherapeutic Agents 91
7.1.4 Combination Therapy 92
7.2 Clinical Trial Design 93
7.2.1 Evolution of Endpoints for Cancer Immunotherapy Trials 95
7.2.2 Health-Related Quality of Life Endpoints in Oncology Clinical Trials 96
7.2.3 Design of Current Phase II and III Trials in SCLC 97
MarketResearchReports.biz is the most comprehensive collection of market research reports. MarketResearchReports.Biz services are specially designed to save time and money for our clients. We are a one stop solution for all your research needs, our main offerings are syndicated research reports, custom research, subscription access and consulting services. We serve all sizes and types of companies spanning across various industries.