Gastric Cancer Therapeutics in Asia-Pacific Markets Growth Driven by Increasing Prevalence and Launch of Targeted Therapies 2022
"The Report Gastric Cancer Therapeutics in Asia-Pacific Markets to 2022 - Growth Driven by Increasing Prevalence and Launch of Targeted Therapies provides information on pricing, market analysis, shares, forecast, and company profiles for key industry participants. - MarketResearchReports.biz"
Gastric cancer is characterized by the formation of malignant cells in the inner lining of the stomach and is the fifth-most common cancer globally. There are many types of gastric cancer, but adenocarcinoma is the most common type and is diagnosed in 95% of cases. The life expectancy and survival rate for gastric cancer is heavily dependent on the stage of the disease when diagnosed. In Asia-Pacific, most of the incident cases of gastric cancer are diagnosed at the late stage and in patients over the age of 60. As the aged population continues to grow, the prevalence of gastric cancer will increase. This, coupled with increasing early diagnosis and an improved survival rate, will drive revenue growth. Due to its indolent nature, the disease remains one of the most common causes of cancer-related death worldwide. Such a poor outlook, particularly for patients with advanced disease, has created a pressing need for improved targeted therapeutic options. The current marketed products landscape comprises a wide range of treatment options, including HER2-targeted therapy, angiogenesis inhibitors and new chemotherapies. Nevertheless, significant unmet need remains for products that can treat HER2-negative gastric cancer patients. However, the gastric cancer market is undergoing a gradual change from a focus on generic chemotherapy regimens to a complex treatment landscape based on targeted therapies.
In the current market, patients with HER2-positive gastric cancer can be treated with targeted therapies, such as Herceptin, while HER2-negative patients still receive chemotherapy regimens as the first-line treatment. The market will be driven by recently launched products and upcoming targeted therapies during the forecast period. The main restraints will be the low penetration of new targeted therapies, owing to their high price, and constrained healthcare budgets.
The Asia-Pacific gastric cancer market is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 11.4% from $1.3 billion in 2015 to $2.7 billion in 2022.
- How will angiogenesis inhibitors contribute to growth?
- What effect will the patent expirations of branded therapies have on market value?
The pipeline contains a range of molecule types and molecular targets, including those that are well-established in gastric cancer and novel targeted therapies.
- Which molecular targets appear most frequently in the pipeline?
- Will the pipeline address unmet needs such as a lack of diverse treatment options for gastric cancer patients?
- What are the most promising first-in-class targets for gastric cancer?
- Will the current first-in-class targets have broader therapeutic potential across the Asia-Pacific markets?
- Will the pipeline address unmet needs such as a lack of targeted treatments for HER2-negative gastric cancer patients?
Various drivers and barriers will influence the market over the forecast period.
- What are the barriers that limit the uptake of premium-priced targeted therapeutics in the assessed countries?
- Which factors are most likely to drive the market in these countries?
Licensing deals are the most common form of strategic alliance in gastric cancer, with total deal values ranging from under $10m to over $200m.
- How do deal frequency and value compare between target families and molecule types?
- What were the terms and conditions of key licensing deals?
Reasons to buy
This report will allow you to -
- Understand the current clinical and commercial landscape by considering disease pathogenesis, diagnosis, prognosis, and the treatment options available at each stage of diagnosis, including a clinical comparison of marketed therapies.
- Visualize the composition of the gastric cancer market in terms of dominant therapies for each patient subset along with their clinical and commercial standing. Unmet needs in the current market are highlighted to allow a competitive understanding of gaps in the current market.
- Analyze the gastric cancer pipeline and stratify pipeline therapies by stage of development, molecule type and molecular target. There are promising signs in the pipeline that the industry is seeking novel approaches to treating gastric cancer.
- Understand the potential of late-stage therapies, with extensive profiles of products that could enter the market over the forecast period, highlighting clinical performance, potential commercial positioning, and how they will compete with other therapies.
- Predict gastric cancer market growth in the five Asia-Pacific markets, with epidemiological and annual cost of therapy forecasts across India, China, Australia, South Korea and Japan, as well as the individual contributions of promising late-stage molecules to market growth.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the gastric cancer deals landscape by analyzing trends in licensing and co-development deals.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 5
2 Introduction 10
2.1 Disease Introduction 10
2.2 Epidemiology 10
2.3 Symptoms 12
2.4 Etiology 12
2.5 Pathophysiology 12
2.5.1 Helicobacter Pylori 13
2.5.2 Oncogenes 13
2.5.3 Tumor Suppressor Genes 13
2.5.4 Cell Adhesion Molecules and Metastasis-Related Genes 14
2.5.5 Cell Cycle Regulators 14
2.5.6 Microsatellite and Chromosomal Instability 14
2.5.7 Growth Factor and Cytokines 14
2.6 Diagnosis 15
2.6.1 Photofluorography or Barium Study 15
2.6.2 Endoscopy 15
2.6.3 Imaging Tests 15
2.6.4 Endoscopic Ultrasound 16
2.6.5 Laparoscopy 16
2.6.6 Laboratory Analysis 16
3 Marketed Products 21
3.1 Overview 21
3.2 HER2-Targeted Therapy 21
3.2.1 Herceptin (trastuzumab) – Roche/Genentech 21
3.3 Angiogenesis Inhibitors 23
3.3.1 Cyramza (ramucirumab) – Eli Lilly 23
3.3.2 Aitan (apatinib) – Jiangsu HengRui Medicine 24
3.4 Newer Chemotherapies 25
3.4.1 TS-1 (tegafur, gimeracil, oteracil) – Taiho 26
3.4.2 Abraxane (nab-paclitaxel) – Celgene/Taiho 26
3.5 Comparative Efficacy and Safety of Marketed Products 27
4 Pipeline Analysis 29
4.1 Overview 29
4.2 Pipeline by Stage of Development, Molecule Type, Route of Administration and Program Type 29
4.3 Pipeline by Molecular Target 31
4.4 Promising Pipeline Candidates 33
4.4.1 Opdivo (nivolumab) – Ono Pharmaceutical/Bristol-Myers Squibb 33
4.4.2 Keytruda (pembrolizumab) – Merck 35
4.4.3 Perjeta (pertuzumab) – Roche 37
4.4.4 Napabucasin – Boston Biomedical (subsidiary of Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma) 39
4.4.5 Lynparza (olaparib) – AstraZeneca 41
4.4.6 Nimotuzumab – Kuhnil Pharmaceutical/Daiichi Sankyo 43
4.4.7 Avelumab – Merck 44
4.4.8 GS-5745 – Gilead Bioscience 46
5 Clinical Trial Analysis 50
5.1 Failure Rate 50
5.1.1 Overall Failure Rate 50
5.1.2 Failure Rate by Phase and Molecule Type 51
5.1.3 Failure Rate by Phase and Molecular Target 53
5.2 Clinical Trial Size 55
5.2.1 Patient Enrollment per Product by Molecule Type, Molecular Target and Stage of Development 55
5.2.2 Patient Enrollment per Trial by Molecule Type, Molecular Target and Stage of Development 56
5.3 Clinical Trial Duration 58
MarketResearchReports.biz is the most comprehensive collection of market research reports. MarketResearchReports.Biz services are specially designed to save time and money for our clients. We are a one stop solution for all your research needs, our main offerings are syndicated research reports, custom research, subscription access and consulting services. We serve all sizes and types of companies spanning across various industries.