Globally, the support from big carmakers is vital to power battery manufacturers. On one hand, traditional consumer electronics enterprises are aggressively conducting transformation; on the other hand, battery materials manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers have also begun to enter this field through various ways. Thus, the first echelon, represented by BYD, Guoxuan High-tech, Tianjin Lishen, and ATL and the second echelon including OptimumNano, Boston Power, Pride Power, Beijing Electronics Holding & SK Technology Co., Ltd (BESK), Do-Fluoride Chemicals, CALB, and Shenzhen BAK have taken shape.
In the first half of 2016, top enterprises by shipments of power battery included: BYD, Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL), Guoxuan High-tech, OptimumNano Energy Co., Ltd., Wanxiang, Lishen, Dongguan CHAM Battery Technology, Beijing National Battery Technology, China Aviation Lithium Battery (CALB), Zhuhai Yinlong New Energy Co., Ltd., etc. Ten enterprises shipped a total of 5.37GWh power batteries, making up 80.5%, of which top three ones (BYD, CATL, and Guoxuan High-tech) shipped 3.72Gwh power batteries, a combined 55.8% market share.
Specifically, BYD, which produces batteries for its own use, shipped 1.62GWh batteries (almost all LiFePO4 batteries), half of 2015’s total; the second-placed CATL shipped 1.56GWh batteries, primarily LiFePO4 and ternary batteries, with the former accounting for nearly 80% and mainly used in new energy buses manufactured by Yutong Bus, Zhongtong Bus, Nanjing Golden Dragon, Xiamen King Long, Beiqi Foton Motor, etc., and the latter chiefly in passenger cars produced by Geely, etc. The third-ranking Hefei Guoxuan High-tech shipped 0.55GWh batteries, almost all LiFePO4 batteries and very few multi-composite batteries which are used in passenger cars, buses, and special vehicles largely produced by JAC Motors, Zotye Auto, Zhongtong Bus, Nanjing Golden Dragon, Higer Bus, SAIC Motor Commercial Vehicle, etc.
There are three major technology roadmaps for power battery around the world:
(1) Ternary materials-based: NCA and NCM as main cathode materials. Featuring high energy density, NCM batteries have become a mainstream battery technology for electric vehicles along with a sharp cutin procurement costs of the batteries in recent years. Chinese battery enterprises, represented by Tianjin Lishen and Boston Power, have started the production of NCM batteries since 2014. NCA is chiefly used in 18650-type battery (the highest energy density so far), which supports mainly Tesla and Toyota RAV4. However, due to strong chemical activity of aluminum mixed in NCA, advanced BMS is needed to monitor the operating condition of the battery, thus resulting in a low penetration in carmakers.
(2) LFP-based. Canada and the United States were the first countries to develop power battery technology. In China, LFP, the mainstream technology for power lithium battery, is widely used in passenger cars and buses, with the typical enterprises including BYD and Guoxuan High-tech. However, due to the factors like low specific energy and poor low-temperature starting performance, LFP batteries still have not been widely used worldwide.
(3) Manganese series: with LMO as main cathode material. LMO is generally modified and is mixed with a small amount of NCM or LNO to raise battery energy density. Key representative manufacturers are LGC, AESC, LEJ, etc. And in China, they are CITIC Guoan MGL, Do-Fluoride Chemicals, etc.
The report focuses on the following aspects:
- Li-ion power battery industry chain (four key materials, cell, Pack + BMS, etc.)
- Li-ion power battery technology roadmap (costs, performance, development direction, etc.)
- Global and China EV industry (overall, by country, and production & sales and performance parameters of specific auto models, etc.)
- Global and China li-ion power battery industry (shipments, prices, market size, batteries for auto models and carmakers, etc.)
- Six Japanese and South Korean lithium battery enterprises (operation, technology, development planning, production & sales, etc.)
- Ten Chinese li-ion power battery enterprises (operation, technology, development planning, production & sales, etc.)
Major Points from Table of Contents
1 Overview of Li-ion Power Battery
2 Market Environments for Li-ion Power Battery Industry
3 Li-ion Power Battery Industry Chain
4 Global New Energy Vehicle Market
5 Global Li-ion Power Battery Industry
6 Major Li-ion Power Battery Manufacturers in South Korea
7 Major Li-ion Power Battery Manufacturers in Japan
8 Major Power Battery Manufacturers in China
RnRMarketResearch.com is your single source for all market research needs. Our database includes 100,000+ market research reports from over 95 leading global publishers & in-depth market research studies of over 5000 micro markets. With comprehensive information about the publishers and the industries for which they publish market research reports, we help you in your purchase decision by mapping your information needs with our huge collection of reports.
We provide 24/7 online and offline support to our customers. Contact us for your special interest needs and we will get in touch within 24hrs to help you find the market research report you need.
+ 1 888 391 5441