Insomnia is the most common sleep disorder and is believed to affect approximately 35% of the global population. The condition can be defined as patient-reported difficultly with sleep initiation or sleep maintenance which can include frequent awakenings, difficulty returning to sleep after awakenings, or awakening too early with inability to return to sleep. Cases of insomnia can be classified on the basis of etiology into primary and secondary (or comorbid) subtypes. The insomnia market is widely genericized creating a competitive environment for new products. As such, the treatment algorithm centers on the generically available nonbenzodiazepines and low-dose sedating antidepressants, despite the launch of numerous novel agents. The value of the insomnia market is set to further decline following the loss of exclusivity for Sunovion/Dainippon Sumitomos Lunesta, the top selling insomnia drug, in April 2014. However, GlobalData expects the launch of two pipeline products from a novel class of drugs to provide growth in the insomnia market as they may address some of the unmet need.
GlobalData estimates the drug sales for insomnia in 2013 were approximately $380.4m in Japan. Aside from some year-to-year fluctuation, the value of the insomnia market in Japan is expected to follow a growth trend over the 10-year forecast period, reaching $432.4m by 2023. This growth can be attributed to the launch of the orexin receptor antagonists Belsomra and E-2006, and the continued uptake of Lunesta and Rozerem prior to their respective patent expiries.
- Overview of Insomnia including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on the key drugs in Japan including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for the top drugs in Japan from 2013-2023.
- Analysis of the impact of key events as well the drivers and restraints affecting Japan Insomnia market.
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for Insomnia.
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of drug performance
- Obtain sales forecast for drugs from 2013-2023 in Japan.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 5
1.2 List of Figures 8
2 Introduction 9
2.1 Catalyst 9
2.2 Related Reports 9
3 Disease Overview 10
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 10
3.1.1 Etiology 10
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 16
3.2 Classification 17
3.3 Symptoms 20
3.4 Prognosis 20
4 Disease Management 22
4.1 Diagnosis and Treatment Overview 22
4.1.1 Clinical Evaluation 22
4.1.2 Referral 26
4.1.3 Treatment Guidelines and Leading Prescribed Drugs 26
4.1.4 Clinical Practice 28
4.2 Japan 32
5 Competitive Assessment 35
5.1 Overview 35
5.2 Product Profiles - Major Brands 37
5.2.1 Nonbenzodiazepines 37
5.2.2 Benzodiazepines 76
5.2.3 Melatonin Receptor Agonists 81
5.2.4 Low-Dose Sedating Antidepressants 100
5.2.5 Orexin Receptor Antagonists 113
5.3 Other Therapeutic Classes 124
6 Unmet Need and Opportunity 125
6.1 Overview 125
6.2 Novel Drugs with Improved Safety Profiles 126
6.2.1 Unmet Need 126
6.2.2 Gap Analysis 128
6.2.3 Opportunity 129
6.3 Drugs That Can Be Used for Long-Term Treatment 129
6.3.1 Unmet Need 129
6.3.2 Gap Analysis 130
MarketResearchReports.biz is the most comprehensive collection of market research reports. MarketResearchReports.Biz services are specially designed to save time and money for our clients. We are a one stop solution for all your research needs, our main offerings are syndicated research reports, custom research, subscription access and consulting services. We serve all sizes and types of companies spanning across various industries.