Human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is an enveloped, single-stranded, negative-sense ribonucleic acid (RNA) pneumovirus belonging to the family of Paramyxoviridae. The virus was discovered in 1956, first as an isolate from a laboratory chimpanzee displaying symptoms of the common cold, and later from infants suffering from respiratory disease. RSV can cause upper respiratory tract infections (the common cold) and is the most important cause of lower respiratory tract infections, such as bronchiolitis and pneumonia, in infants. RSV is also an important cause of hospitalizations and deaths in elderly adults.
Today, Medimmunes Synagis (palivizumab) is the only licensed intervention for the prevention of RSV in infants at a high risk of severe infection. This humanized, mouse monoclonal antibody (mAb) was first approval in 1998, and while it is an efficacious prophylactic intervention, its short 20-day half-life necessitates monthly dosing during the RSV season. Moreover, the high cost of Synagis limits its use to certain subgroups of infants who are at high risk of severe RSV infection, and it is not indicated for use in elderly adults, leaving a key population of high-risk individuals unprotected. Furthermore, due to the absence of effective RSV-specific antivirals, the treatment of RSV infections is largely restricted to a number of supportive treatment options. GlobalData projects the global RSV marketplace - which, for the purposes of this report, comprises the seven major pharmaceutical markets (7MM; US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan) - to experience unprecedented growth from 2014-2024, driven by the arrival of novel approaches to prevention and management of RSV.
Download Sample copy of this Report at
Key Questions Answered
- Based on interviews with key opinion leaders (KOLs), GlobalData has identified the major unmet needs in the RSV marketplace. Will the leading pipeline agents fulfil these unmet needs during the forecast period (2014-2024)?
- What research and development (R&D) strategies will companies leverage tocompete in the future RSV marketplace?
- Which patient population(s) are most likely to be targeted by novel RSV prophylactic and therapeutic agents?
- What clinical and commercial factors are likely to influence RSV product uptake in the 7MM?
- The global RSV marketplace - which, for the purposes of this report, encompasses the sales of products for the prevention or treatment of RSV in the 7MM - was worth approximately $640m in 2014. GlobalData projects the market to surpass $2.3bn in sales by 2024, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 29.9% from 2014-2024. The sales are projected to originate predominantly from the US (a 62% market share), followed distantly by the 5EU (a 29% market share).
- The anticipated arrival of novel prophylactic mAbs that boast improved dosing criteria compared with Synagis, led by MedImmunes MEDI8897, will be a principal driver of RSV market growth across the 7MM. The licensure of the first adult vaccine to offer protection against RSV, Novavaxs RSV-F Vaccine, will also stimulate rapid growth in a previously untapped segment of the marketplace.
- A persistent lack of patient and physician awareness of RSV in adult patients - specifically the infections substantial impact on morbidity and mortality in the elderly - will serve as a key impediment to market growth from 2014-2024.
- Overview of RSV infections, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current management strategies.
- Topline RSV market revenue from 2014-2024. Annual cost of therapy (ACOT) and major pipeline product sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include current treatment options, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting RSV product sales in the 7MM.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, synopses of innovative early-stage projects, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline products.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global RSV market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global RSV market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the RSV market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 10
1.1 List of Tables 15
1.2 List of Figures 18
2 Introduction 19
2.1 Catalyst 19
2.2 Related Reports 20
2.3 Upcoming Related Reports 21
3 Disease Overview 22
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 22
3.1.1 Etiology 22
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 26
3.2 Symptoms and Prognosis 28
3.2.1 Symptoms 28
3.2.2 Prognosis 30
3.3 Quality of Life 31
3.4 Disease Management 31
3.4.1 Diagnosis of RSV Infection 32
3.4.2 Prevention of RSV Infection 34
3.4.3 Treatment of RSV Infection 37
4 Epidemiology 40
4.1 Disease Background 40
4.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 41
4.3 Global Trends 43
4.3.1 Preterm Infants and Children Born Preterm and Survived to Two Years of Age 44
4.3.2 Infants with Neonatal CLD 44
4.3.3 Children with Hemodynamically Significant Congenital Heart Disease 45
4.3.4 Children with Congenital Respiratory or Neuromuscular Diseases That Compromise Respiratory Function 45
4.3.5 Third-Trimester Pregnant Women 46
4.3.6 Hospitalizations for RSV Infection 47
4.4 Forecast Methodology 48
4.4.1 Sources Used 54
4.4.2 Sources Not Used 62
4.4.3 Forecast Assumptions and Methods 63
4.5 Epidemiological Forecast for RSV Infection (2014-2024) 72
4.5.1 Risk Groups for Severe RSV Infection in Children Less than Two Years 72
4.5.2 Preterm Births 78
4.5.3 Neonatal CLD 79
4.5.4 Third-Trimester Pregnant Women 80
4.5.5 RSV Hospitalizations in Children 81
4.6 Discussion 83
4.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 83
MarketResearchReports.biz is the most comprehensive collection of market research reports. MarketResearchReports.Biz services are specially designed to save time and money for our clients. We are a one stop solution for all your research needs, our main offerings are syndicated research reports, custom research, subscription access and consulting services. We serve all sizes and types of companies spanning across various industries.