GBI Research’s latest report “The Future of Generic Drugs and Strategies for Commercial Success” discusses trends in the global generic drugs market, and the evolving business strategies being adopted and leveraged by generic drug companies around the world. GBI Research conducted an extensive and targeted industry survey of experts from top global generic drug companies, to gather opinions on the trends and future commercial prospects of the generic drugs market. The findings from the survey and results from extensive data analysis and secondary research efforts have been triangulated with GBI’s own analytical views to provide an objective assessment that is comprehensive in outlook.
The generic drugs market has seen rapid expansion for more than 30 years, and consistently achieves higher annual growth rates than the overall pharmaceutical market. The increase in generic drug activity can be primarily attributed to the promise of significant revenues from blockbuster drugs nearing patent expiry. In the US – the largest generic drugs market by revenue – the number of generic drug approvals hit a record high in 2015, due to a new program that aimed to speed up approvals. There has also recently been a surge in the number of industry-transforming mergers and acquisitions, with companies looking to consolidate their position in this highly lucrative market.
The results of GBI’s latest industry survey provide insightful analyses from different expert panels, including R&D and commercial, and highlight trends observed in key geographical markets. The survey examined key commercial issues and recent developments in the generic drugs market, such as the reasons behind the surge in mergers and acquisitions, and the likely effects on market dynamics. It covered important factors currently driving or restraining the market, prospects for key therapy areas expected to exhibit significant levels of genericization in the coming years, and the most promising emerging markets for generic companies in terms of revenue potential. Additionally, the survey examined common business strategies and regulations being leveraged by global generic drug companies for market expansion.
The report covers key small molecule drugs whose patents will expire in the coming years, providing an in-depth assessment of potential generic competition, expected launch dates and the overall impact on global branded revenues to 2021. The top global generic drug companies by revenue are also examined, including financial performance and recent activity within the market.
This new report adds to our unique portfolio of trusted industry analyses, which enable our clients to assess the most promising commercial areas in the market and identify key business opportunities.
- What is the current value of the generic drugs market, and how will market dynamics change in the coming years?
- Will the US continue to dominate the market?
- Which therapy areas will witness the highest level of genericization in the next five years?
Drivers and restraints in the generics industry:
- What are the most important factors promoting generic drug usage at a global level?
- What are the most important factors hindering or delaying generic drug approvals?
- Will governments worldwide continue their efforts to promote generic drug usage?
- How will global demographic trends impact demand for generic drugs?
- Which emerging economies are the most promising for generic drugs companies?
- Are generic drugs still negatively perceived?
- How are pricing pressures and rising costs affecting generic drug manufacturers?
- Generic drugs pipeline for top small molecule drugs in the market:
- What will be the revenue impact for key small molecule drugs whose patents expire in the near future?
- What are the key patent expiry dates for these small molecules and what level of generic competition should they expect?
- Strategies for commercial success:
- What are the most popular strategies or regulations being adopted and leveraged by generic drug manufacturers?
- What governmental policies are significantly influencing generic drug usage?
- What will be the impact of compulsory licenses in emerging markets?
- Mergers and acquisitions in the global generic drugs market:
- What are the most important factors contributing to the surge in M&A activity in the generic drugs market?
- How will market dynamics be affected by continued consolidation in the generic drugs market?
- What have been the most important transactions in the generic drugs industry in recent years?
- Top global generic drugs companies:
- How have top generic drugs companies performed in recent years?
- What are the prospects for top generic drugs companies?
Reasons to buy
This report will allow you to
- Gain insightful analyses and understanding of market dynamics: This report comprehensively describes and assesses the most important factors driving and restraining the generic drugs market. It assesses pertinent commercial and regulatory aspects of the industry by combining survey results with proprietary in-house expertise and extensive secondary research efforts.
- Assess the generic drugs pipeline for top small molecule drugs in the market: Our study provides prospects for these drugs beyond their patent expiries, including potential generic competition, expected launch dates and revenue forecasts to 2021.
- Evaluate the strategies used by companies to promote generic drug usage: This report provides insights regarding the various commercial strategies being adopted and leveraged by generic drug companies to promote their therapies.
- Understand government policies and strategies to promote generic drug usage: This report assesses current strategies and regulations implemented by governments in key geographic markets to promote generic drug usage.
- Gain insight on mergers and acquisitions in the global generic drugs market: This report describes industry-transforming mergers and acquisitions that have occurred in recent years, the reasons behind the recent surge in these types of transactions, and their likely impact on market dynamics.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 3
1.1 List of Tables 6
1.2 List of Figures 6
2 Introduction 8
2.1 What are Generic Drugs? 8
2.1.1 Generic Drugs by Type 9
2.2 The Global Generic Drugs Market 9
2.2.1 Will the US Continue to Dominate the Global Generic Drugs Market? 9
2.3 Therapy Areas with Highest Levels of Genericization, 2016–2021 10
2.4 Entry Strategies for Generic Drugs 11
3 Generic Drugs Market: Drivers and Restraints 13
3.1 Factors Driving the Global Generic Drugs Market 15
3.1.1 The Patent Cliff is a Key Driver of Growth for Generic Drugs 15
3.1.2 Recent and Upcoming Patent Expiries of Notable Drugs 15
3.1.3 Will Governments Worldwide Continue Promoting Generic Drug Usage? 16
3.1.4 Generic Drug Approvals are Reaching Record Numbers in Key Markets 17
3.1.5 How Will Global Demographic Trends Impact Demand for Generic Drugs 17
3.1.6 Which Emerging Economies are the Most Promising for Generic Drugs Companies? 18
3.2 Factors Restraining Growth in the Global Generic Drugs Market 19
3.2.1 Delayed Launch of Generic Equivalents 20
3.2.2 Are Generic Drugs Still Negatively Perceived? 21
3.2.3 Impact of Supplemental Examination Provision of Patent Reform Act on Generics in the US 22
3.2.4 Pricing Pressures and Rising Costs for Generic Manufacturers 23
4 Generic Drug Pipeline for Top Small Molecule Drugs in the Market 24
4.1 Sensipar/Mimpara (cinacalcet) 24
4.1.1 Key Patent Expiry Dates and Potential Generic Competition 24
4.1.2 Sensipar/Mimpara Sales Forecast, 2011–2021 24
4.2 Tarceva (erlotinib) 25
4.2.1 Key Patent Expiry Dates and Potential Generic Competition 25
4.2.2 Tarceva Sales Forecast, 2011–2021 26
4.3 Lyrica (pregabalin) 26
4.3.1 Key Patent Expiry Dates and Potential Generic Competition 26
4.3.2 Lyrica Sales Forecast, 2011–2011 27
4.4 Vesicare (solifenacin) 28
4.4.1 Key Patent Expiry Dates and Potential Generic Competition 28
4.4.2 Vesicare Sales Forecast, 2011–2021 28
4.5 Viagra (sildenafil) 29
4.5.1 Key Patent Expiry Dates and Potential Generic Competition 29
4.5.2 Viagra Sales Forecast, 2011–2021 30
4.6 Vytorin/Inegy (ezetimibe plus simvastatin) 30
4.6.1 Key Patent Expiry Dates and Potential Generic Competition 30
4.6.2 Vytorin/Inegy Sales Forecast, 2011–2021 31
4.7 Truvada (emtricitabine plus tenofovir) 31
MarketResearchReports.biz is the most comprehensive collection of market research reports. MarketResearchReports.Biz services are specially designed to save time and money for our clients. We are a one stop solution for all your research needs, our main offerings are syndicated research reports, custom research, subscription access and consulting services. We serve all sizes and types of companies spanning across various industries.