MarketResearchReports.Biz presents this most up-to-date research on "Wealth in South Africa: HNW Investors 2017".
"Wealth in South Africa: HNW Investors 2017", analyzes the South African investment market, with a focus on the HNW segment. The report is based on our proprietary datasets.
More than 40% of South African HNW investors generated their wealth through earned income, mainly through manufacturing and the real estate and property sector. Most HNW individuals opt to have their assets managed by a professional, driven by a lack of expertise. However, clients who self-direct their investments do so mainly to avoid management fees and to retain exclusive control over some of their portfolio. Equities are the preferred asset class, but property, alternatives, and cash are forecast to experience notable increases over the next 12 months. Demand is quite pronounced for pension and inheritance planning, and a strong increase in demand is forecast across all planning services.
Specifically the report -
- Sizes the affluent market (both by number of individuals and their demographics) using our proprietary datasets.
- Analyzes which asset classes are favored by South African investors and how their preferences impact the growth of the total savings and investments market.
- Examines HNW clients attitudes towards non-liquid investments such as property and commodities.
- Expats account for a below-average proportion of the HNW population, with UK HNW migrants accounting for the majority.
- While equities dominate, demand for alternatives is forecast to rise rapidly as investors are looking for new means of diversification.
- Despite a strong preference for discretionary mandates, 21.5% do not place their assets with a professional manager, which is double the global average.
- Demand is strongest for pension and inheritance planning services, and will increase further increase over the next two years, along with demand for financial planning services.
Reasons to buy
- Benchmark your share of the South African wealth market against the current market size.
- Forecast your future growth prospects using our projections for the market to 2020.
- Identify your most promising client segment by analyzing penetration of affluent individuals in South Africa.
- Evaluate your HNW proposition by understanding how the South African tax system will impact HNW clients.
Table of Contents
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
1.1. South African clients accumulate wealth through earned income 3
1.2. Key findings 3
1.3. Critical success factors 3
2. PROFILING THE SOUTH AFRICAN HNW INVESTOR 8
2.1. Earned income accounts for the largest source of wealth 8
2.1.1. The bulk of South African HNW individuals are males above 51 years of age 8
2.1.2. The largest proportion of HNW clients amass their wealth through earned income 9
2.1.3. Many HNW investors have built their fortunes through the manufacturing industry 11
2.1.4. Nearly half of HNW individuals in South Africa are directors 12
2.2. Expats account for 8.4% of the local HNW population 13
2.2.1. The majority of HNW expats are from the UK 14
3. SOUTH AFRICAN HNW INVESTMENT STYLE PREFERENCES 17
3.1. Wealth managers should highlight their professional expertise 17
3.1.1. Over half of South Africas HNW wealth is held in discretionary mandates 17
3.1.2. A lack of expertise drives demand for professional advice 18
3.1.3. South Africas HNW investors place a higher-than-average proportion of their wealth with their main wealth manager 19
3.2. A desire to avoid management fees is increasing demand for execution-only mandates 20
3.2.1. However, demand is strongest for discretionary mandates 20
3.2.2. Advisory mandates will experience the strongest growth in demand 21
3.2.3. A lack of expertise is driving demand for advisory mandates 22
3.2.4. South African HNW investors who self-direct want to avoid management fees 23
3.2.5. Charles Schwab offers automated investment services with a human element 24
MarketResearchReports.biz is the most comprehensive collection of market research reports. MarketResearchReports.Biz services are specially designed to save time and money for our clients. We are a one stop solution for all your research needs, our main offerings are syndicated research reports, custom research, subscription access and consulting services. We serve all sizes and types of companies spanning across various industries.
90 Sate Street, Suite 700
Albany, NY 12207