Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease that permanently destroys beta cells of the pancreatic islet, which means that the body can no longer produce insulin. Over the last 90 years, insulin therapy has been evolving continuously, as at present, no other treatment can be offered to a patient who is newly diagnosed with T1D. A variety of insulin analogs with different times of action - long-acting as well as short or rapid-acting analogs - have been on the market for the past decade. In addition, many other developments were happening in parallel, such as glucose monitoring and significant advances in insulin delivery systems. The T1D market will approximately double over the forecast period, growing from $6.6 billiion to $13.6 billion.This growth will be fueled by the significant increase in T1D prevalence as well as the uptake of the novel ultra-long-acting insulin analogs, novel ultra-rapid formulations of insulin analogs, and the adjunct therapies for T1D. The launches of these novel products will offset the dip in sales caused by the patent expiries of seven insulin products, and the consequent emergence of biosimilars.
The 2013 base-year market sales of T1D products in Canada were around $139m. This growth will be fueled by the significant increase in T1D prevalence in Canada as well as by the uptake of the novel ultra-long-acting insulin analogs, novel ultra-rapid formulations of insulin analogs, and the adjunct therapies for T1D. The launches of these novel products will offset the dip in sales caused by the patent expiries of seven insulin products over the forecast period.
- Overview of T1D including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on the key drugs in Canada including product T1Dcription, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for the top drugs in Canada from 2013-2023.
- Analysis of the impact of key events as well the drivers and restraints affecting Canada T1D market.
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for T1D.
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of drug performance
- Obtain sales forecast for drugs from 2013-2023 in Canada.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 6
1.2 List of Figures 9
2 Introduction 10
2.1 Catalyst 10
2.2 Related Reports 11
2.3 Upcoming Related Reports 11
3 Disease Overview 12
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 12
3.1.1 Etiology 12
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 14
3.1.3 Biomarkers for Monitoring the Islet Autoreactivity of Type 1 Diabetes 15
3.2 Symptoms 16
3.3 Prognosis 17
3.4 Quality of Life 17
4 Disease Management 19
4.1 Diagnosis and Treatment Overview 19
4.1.1 Diagnosis 19
4.1.2 Treatment Guidelines and Leading Prescribed Therapies 21
4.1.3 Clinical Practice 23
4.2 Canada 27
5 Competitive Assessment 31
5.1 Overview 31
5.2 Current Treatments 34
5.2.1 Human Insulins (Injectable Formulations) 34
5.2.2 Humalog (insulin lispro) 37
5.2.3 NovoLog/NovoRapid (insulin aspart) 43
5.2.4 Apidra (insulin glulisine) 49
5.2.5 Lantus (insulin glargine) 55
5.2.6 Levemir (insulin detemir) 62
5.2.7 Tresiba (insulin degludec) 67
5.2.8 Pancreas and Islet Cell Transplantation 74
6 Unmet Need and Opportunity 77
6.1 Overview 77
6.2 Disease-Modifying Treatment - Preservation of Beta Cells 78
6.2.1 Unmet Need 78
6.2.2 Gap Analysis 79
MarketResearchReports.biz is the most comprehensive collection of market research reports. MarketResearchReports.Biz services are specially designed to save time and money for our clients. We are a one stop solution for all your research needs, our main offerings are syndicated research reports, custom research, subscription access and consulting services. We serve all sizes and types of companies spanning across various industries.