Thule Lightning – The World’s First Hyper Roof BoxFeb 28, 2011 01:15 EST
Tomorrow, March 1, a ground-breaking collaboration between Thule and Koenigsegg will be announced at the Geneva Motor Show. The two world-leading Swedish companies, within different business areas, have created the hyper roof box Thule Lightning, specially designed for the hyper car Koenigsegg Agera R.
Koenigsegg Agera R and Thule Lightning is the fastest combination of a commercial car and roof box on the market, with a top speed of 300 km/h (186.5 mph) and 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) in 2.9 seconds. Thule Lightning is the only commercially available roof box made of 100% carbon fibre.
The Thule Lightning is integrated with the Koenigsegg Agera R’s removable rooftop. Its aerodynamic design has been developed by Thule and accustomed to the Koenigsegg design, shape and overall look and feel. The Koenigsegg Agera R integrated winter rooftop is available through special order, and if you choose to order the Thule Lightning package, a pair of personally customised skis, designed and produced in the Swedish ski resort Åre will be included.
“Thule Lightning is a token of the success with our focus on innovation”, says Michael Forsmark, President Thule Vehicle Solutions. “This is an extreme roof box with features and a design that will have great benefits for our continued product development, based on the combination of our solid craftsmanship and consumer insight."
”We have for a long time dreamed about making our extreme cars more practical without sacrificing the feel and the performance of the vehicle”, says Christian von Koenigsegg, founder and CEO of Koenigsegg. ”With the new Thule Lightning roof box, our hyper cars get a total luggage space of 420 litres, without altering the car. This opens up entirely new possibilities for the use of our cars. For example, you can pack the usual Koenigsegg roof in the front boot, and pack the box full of clothes, skis and other necessities. When you reach the final destination, the user can simply replace the roof box with the regular roof, which is already packed in the car. The driver will then, immediately be ready to head out to the next race track."
The new hyper roof box will be unveiled to the international press in Geneva, at the Koenigsegg showcase during the 81st International Motor Show on March 1. The expo is open to the public March 3-13.
About Thule Lightning / Koenigsegg winter rooftop
- Materials: Shell of aero-classified full carbon fibre, opening mechanism made of lightweight aluminium.
- Attachment: The roof box is fully integrated with the car roof for minimum vibration, and interchangeable with the car's standard roof.
- Capacity: 300 litres – room for specially designed Koenigsegg skis, poles and boots.
- Access: Opens automatically using a handle inside the car.
- Design: Shaped to minimize the impact on the aerodynamics of the car, with minimum friction and aero stability at speeds up to 300 km/h (186.5 mph).
About Koenigsegg Agera R
- Power output: 1115 hp at 6900 rpm - redline @ 7250 rpm
- Torque: over 1000 Nm from 2700 to 6170 rpm
- Max Torque: 1200 Nm at 4100 rpm
- Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 2.9 seconds
- 0-200 km/h 7.5 sec, 0-200-0 km/h 12.7 sec
- Braking distance: 30.5m (100-0 km/h)
- Lateral G-force: 1.6 G