London, UK – 3 September, 2010 – Shazam, the world’s leading mobile discovery provider, today announces significant feature updates on the App Store, many of which take advantage of iPhone 4 features and iOS4 operating system. The new features are applicable to all Shazam versions for the iPhone and iPod touch - Shazam Encore, Shazam (Product) RED™ Special Edition App* and the Shazam free App. The company is also introducing a new annual pricing option for its premium offering.
Support for the multitasking feature on iOS4 allows a user to leave the Shazam App and use another function, such as to take a call or purchase music on iTunes, and return anytime where they left off to continue their Shazam experience.
The new Shazam App is optimised for the iPhone 4's new retina display, which means all icons and imagery are brighter and clearer.
Other significant features include:
- Settings can now be customized, such as ‘tagging on start-up,’ to deliver the fastest possible music identification experience.
- An improved video experience, which delivers multiple videos per tag from YouTube, which Shazamers can watch without leaving the App.
- A completely new, intuitive design which includes:
- Improved artist information, including track and album reviews, artist biographies and discographies, as well as song lyrics**.
- A new ‘Discover’ tab to access Shazam Tag Charts, detailing the most popular new music in 20 countries / regions, as tagged by Shazam users. Shazamers can select which Tag Charts they want delivered every week, choosing charts from as many countries as they like, as well as ‘Europe’ or ‘World’ listings.
- Shortcut icons which now appear when tapping on track cover art, enabling users to simply and easily preview the music, buy it on iTunes or share it via Facebook and Twitter.
- Search for ringtones and videos on iTunes with one tap.
“This is a major enhancement for our customers,” said Andrew Fisher, CEO of Shazam. “Whether it is Shazam’s free, premium or (RED) version, we have made a significant investment to provide the most intuitive, interactive and immersive discovery experience yet. 20 million music lovers are already using Shazam on the iPhone and iPod touch and we’re confident that our new design and feature update will encourage more discovery, sharing and buying of music than ever before.”
Shazam Free App
Users of Shazam’s free version for iPhone and iPod touch will now have access to a number of new features which include: access to Tag Charts from around the world, 30-second clip previews of tagged tracks and a search function to discover new music by artist, track or album from Shazam’s eight million song database.
Also, starting today, users will be able to upgrade to Shazam Encore from within the App. They can choose to buy the premium version for an annual fee of $2.99 (launch offer) or choose lifetime at $4.99. Alternatively they can stay with the free version offering five tags a month***.
Shazam Encore and (SHAZAM) RED
Encore and (RED) users will continue to benefit from unlimited tagging capabilities and a range of exclusive features such as recommendations, car mode and integration with Pandora and Last.fm.
All updates and new features are available in all countries around the world where Shazam is available.
New users can purchase the premium versions, Shazam Encore and (SHAZAM) RED, for $4.99 (£2.99), or download the Shazam free version on the App Store for iPhone and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore/.
* Updated (SHAZAM) RED application will be available shortly.
** Lyrics in 9 countries.
***Existing users who downloaded the Shazam App before Encore and (SHAZAM) RED was launched in November 2009 will be able to enjoy all the new features, without tagging limitations.
Shazam is one of the most popular apps of all time, used by hundreds of millions of people globally to connect to the world around them. Building on its pioneering leadership in music identification, Shazam now helps people discover, interact with, and share video, audio, or printed content on TV, radio, movie screens, magazines, newspapers, packaged goods, and retail stores -- and now Shazam lets music fans follow their favorite artists to see their Shazams and share in the thrill of discovery. The app has exceeded 20 billion total Shazams since its launch, and users Shazam over 20 million times each day. For more information on how Shazam has created new technology tools for brands to utilize data visit www.shazam.com