Oncology and CNS are the main therapeutic areas in the drug development pipeline from Swedish biotech- and pharma companies.
The Swedish life science industry includes 1500 companies within pharma, biotech and medtech. Of these, around 800 are engaged in research and development programs in Sweden.
The report The Swedish Drug Development Pipeline highlights the 123 companies with Swedish headquarters that actively develop novel drugs. In the report there an overview of the Swedish drug developing companies, including statistics on turnover, number of employees and company lists sorted by name, by therapeutic area and by development phase. The pipeline analysis presented in the report focuses on the 58 companies that have projects in clinical phase I-III.
Key findings in the 2015 report include:
- There are currently 107 projects in clinical development, which is an increase of 15 projects compared to last year.
- Oncology and CNS are the therapy areas with most projects in clinical development.
- A higher number of clinical trials were conducted in Sweden compared to last year.
- 42 of the projects in Phase I-III target an orphan indication. This is almost double the number of the 22 projects reported in 2014.
- Almost 9 out of 10 companies are micro-sized businesses with 10 employees or less. These companies typically have a significant part of their R&D allocated to external consultants and specialized service providers.
- Within R&D, the companies together employ almost as many consultants as internal R&D employees.
The Swedish Drug Development Pipeline has been published annually since 2006 and is compiled by SwedenBIO, the Swedish Life Science Industry Organization (www.swedenbio.com). Financial support has been obtained from VINNOVA, the Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems (www.vinnova.se).
SwedenBIO helps innovative companies succeed! SwedenBIO is the national organization working for the benefit of the entire life science sector in Sweden - a member driven, private non-profit organization. The main objective is to improve and maintain industry conditions which will support prosperous growth and business development among our, today, close to 200 member companies. Our members are active in the fields of pharmaceutical, biotech, medtech and diagnostics. Our mission is to create visibility and interest for the Swedish life science and thereby support a successful life science industry. A successful industry can heal and help those patients still suffering from unmet medical needs. A successful industry creates jobs and welfare and creates opportunities for a healthier and brighter future.