Press release -
Responsib’all Day 2013: 18 800 Pernod Ricard employees around the world mobilised to reduce harmful use of alcohol
June 5, 2013, the 3rd edition of the Pernod Ricard Responsib’all Day will take place. During this day, 18 800 employees stop their activities and rally around a common action: promoting responsible drinking. This day is the opportunity to highlight yearlong Pernod Ricard initiatives and share the 5commitments undertaken by the industry.
June 5, 2013, the 3rd edition of the Pernod Ricard Responsib’all Day will take place. During this day, 18 800 employees stop their activities and rally around a common action: promoting responsible drinking. This day is the opportunity to highlight yearlong Pernod Ricard initiatives and share the 5 key commitments undertaken by the industry.
The announcement was made last October in Washington at the International Conference ICAP: Global Actions, during which Pierre Pringuet announced on behalf of 13 leading beer, wine and spirits companies their aim to reduce excessive or inappropriate consumption through ambitious initiatives to be developed during the next 5 years.
Those commitments are
1. Reducing under-age drinking
2. Strengthening and expanding marketing codes of practice
3. Providing consumer information and developing responsible product innovation
4. Reducing drinking and driving
5. Enlisting the support of retailers to reduce harmful drinking
“I – and my fellow CEOs – believe that this program of actions is concrete, deliverable and, most importantly, capable of being measured and evaluated,” said Pierre Pringuet.
This is in line with Pernod Ricard’s historic commitment to Promoting Responsible Consumption of alcoholic beverages. Already back in 1971, Jean Hémard, Chairman of Pernod founded the IREB, Scientific Research Institute on Alcohol, in 1990 Pernod Ricard was a founding member of the EFRD (European Forum for Responsible Drinking). Pernod Ricard joined ICAP (International Center for Alcohol Policies) in 2005.
Listed below are a few examples, per type of commitment mentioned above, of local initiatives undertaken by Pernod Ricard affiliates with local partners:
1. In Spain: Program developed through FAS (Federacion Alcohol y Sociedad) targeting students in Secondary School (12 to 17years old) is carried out by trained monitors and workshops organized for parents. 1 800 000 students were trained, and 70% declare they shall not drink or will at least drink less.
2. In Taiwan: Eleven international alcohol companies (Members of TBAF -Taiwan Beverage Alcohol Forum) signed up to the self-regulatory code on marketing activities. The biggest domestic producer TTLC (Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Company) also signed up despite not being a TBAF member.
3. In Europe: Wine in Moderation Program in collaboration with CEEV (Committee Vin) - logo with website address displayed on bottles, where consumers can find more information on Responsible Consumption. Campaign launched in parallel.
4. In India: A first of a kind campaign implemented with truck drivers, providing eye and health checkups and education on dangers of driving under the influence. Program was completed in collaboration with unions and local government. Family photographs were placed in trucks reminding drivers about driving safely back to their families. Close to 1800 checkups provided.
5. In Slovakia: Bartenders were involved in an interactive and fun way about the challenging issue of serving alcohol to minors: a campaign called “Not 18? Not a chance!”, consisting of trainings (managed by sales representatives) and online tools (forum, Facebook, game to sharpen their skills in distinguishing minors from over 18-year old). Close to 3000 bartenders trained.
A report of Pernod Ricard initiatives on responsible consumption, "Wise Drinking, An overview of Pernod Ricard’s drinking policy” is available on the Pernod Ricard website or upon request.
The International Center for Alcohol Policies (ICAP; www.icap.org) is a not-for-profit organization supported by major international producers of beverage alcohol. Established in 1995, ICAP’s mission is to promote understanding of the role of alcohol in society and to help reduce harmful drinking worldwide. ICAP’s efforts to foster dialogue and partnerships in the alcohol policy field are shaped by its commitment to pragmatic and feasible solutions to reducing harm that can be tailored to local and cultural considerations and needs. ICAP has been recognized by the United Nations Economic and Social Council (UN ECOSOC) as a non-governmental organization in Special Consultative Status.
About Pernod Ricard
Pernod Ricard is the world's co-leader in wines and spirits with consolidated sales of 8,215 million euros in 2011/12. Created in 1975 by the merger of Ricard and Pernod, the Group has developed through both organic growth and acquisitions: Seagram (2001), Allied Domecq (2005) and Vin & Sprit (2008). Pernod Ricard holds one of the most prestigious portfolios of brands in the sector: ABSOLUT Vodka, Ricard pastis, Ballantine's Scotch whiskeys, Chivas Regal, Royal Salute and The Glenlivet, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Martell cognac, rum Havana Club, Beefeater gin, Kahlúa and Malibu liqueurs, Mumm and Perrier-Jouët champagnes, as well Jacob's Creek, Brancott Estate, Campo Viejo and Graffigna. The Group employs around 18,800 people and operates through a decentralized organization, with 6 "Brand Companies" and 75 "Market Companies" established in each key market. The Group is strongly committed to a sustainable development policy and encourages responsible consumption. The strategy and ambitions of Pernod Ricard are based on 3 key values that guide its expansion: entrepreneurial spirit, mutual trust and a strong sense of ethics. Pernod Ricard is listed on NYSE Euronext Paris (Ticker: RI; ISIN code: FR0000120693) and is part of the CAC 40 index
Sylvie MACHENAUD / External Communications Director T : +33 (0)1 41 00 42 74
Carina ALFONSO MARTIN/Press Relations Manager T : +33 (0)1 41 00 43 42
The Absolut Company has the worldwide responsibility for the production, innovation and strategic marketing of ABSOLUT VODKA, Malibu, Kahlúa, Wyborowa, Luksusowa and Frïs. ABSOLUT VODKA is the world’s fourth largest premium spirits brand. Every bottle of ABSOLUT VODKA is produced in Åhus in southern Sweden. MALIBU is the number one coconut-flavoured rum in the world, sold in more than 150 countries. KAHLÚA coffee liqueur is the world leader in its category. As of July 2008, The Absolut Company is a company within the Pernod Ricard group, which holds one of the most prestigious brand portfolios in the sector. The head office is located in Stockholm, Sweden.