Press release -
Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith star in the hit film QUEEN & SLIM
From Emmy Award®-winning writer Lena Waithe (Netflix’s “Master of None”) and Grammy Award®-winning director Melina Matsoukas (Beyonce’s “Formation” and Nike’s “Equality”), comes the unflinching new drama, QUEEN & SLIM, arriving on Blu-ray and DVD July 27, 2020 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Hailed by critics as “urgent and beautiful” (Mark Kennedy, Associated Press) and “simply gorgeous” (Cate Young, Jezebel), QUEEN & SLIM is a timely and powerful love story that confronts the staggering toll of racism where it meets the shattering price of violence.
Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out, Black Panther) and Jodie Turner-Smith (“The Last Ship, “Nightflyers”) bring QUEEN & SLIM to life as the titular characters. Kaluuya and Turner-Smith are accompanied by outstanding supporting performances from Bokeem Woodbine (“Fargo,” Spider-Man: Homecoming), Chloë Sevigny (Boys Don’t Cry, “Big Love”), legendary Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist, Flea (Baby Driver, Boy Erased),American country singer, Sturgill Simpson
(The Dead Don’t Die, “One Dollar”) and Indya Moore (“Pose,” Saturday Church). QUEEN & SLIM comes from production company Makeready.
While on a forgettable first date together in Ohio, a black man (Kaluuya) and a black woman (Turner-Smith), are pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The situation escalates, with sudden and tragic results, and the man kills the police officer in self-defense. Terrified and in fear for their lives, the man, a retail employee, and the woman, a criminal defense lawyer, are forced to go on the run. But the incident is captured on video and goes viral, and the couple unwittingly become a symbol of trauma, terror, grief and pain for people across the country. As they drive, these two unlikely fugitives will discover themselves and each other in the most dire and desperate of circumstances, forging a deep and powerful love that will reveal their shared humanity and shape the rest of their lives.
Packed with thrilling and provocative moments from beginning to end, QUEEN & SLIM delivers exclusive bonus content that will take viewers deeper into the meaning and the message behind this gripping story that takes “a powerful look at places and issues not often explored in movies” (Mark Kennedy, Associated Press).
BONUS FEATURES on BLU-RAY & DVD
- Feature Commentary with Director/Producer Melina Matsoukas and Writer/Producer Lena Waithe
- A Deeper Meaning - Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith and filmmakers discuss the complicated journeys of Queen & Slim and explore the deeper meanings of how far these characters have come from where they began.
- Melina & Lena - A behind-the-scenes look at the creative partnership between director/producer Melina Matsoukas and screenwriter/producer Lena Waithe.
- Off The Script - Screenwriter Lena Waithe reads from her original screenplay for Queen & Slim.
- On The Run With Queen & Slim - Go behind the scenes with the cast and crew of Queen & Slim as they film in Cleveland and New Orleans.
- Cast: Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith, Bokeem Woodbine, Chloë Sevigny, Flea, Sturgill Simpson and Indya Moore
- Casting By: Carmen Cuba
- Music Supervisor: Kier Lehman
- Score By: Devonté Hynes
- Costume Designer: Shona L. Turini
- Editor: Pete Beaudreau
- Production Designer: Karen Murphy
- Director of Photography: Tat Radcliffe, BSC
- Executive Producers: Pamela Hirsch, Daniel Kaluuya, Aaron L. Gilbert and Jason Cloth
- Produced By: James Frey, Lena Waithe, Melina Matsoukas, Michelle Knudsen, Andrew C. Coles, Brad Weston and Pamela Abdy
- Story By: James Frey and Lena Waithe
- Screenplay By: Lena Waithe
- Directed By: Melina Matsoukas
- new titles of the month
ABOUT UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT:
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE – www.uphe.com) is a unit of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group (UFEG). UFEG produces, acquires, markets and distributes filmed entertainment worldwide in various media formats for theatrical, home entertainment, television and other distribution platforms, as well as consumer products, interactive gaming and live entertainment. The global division includes Universal Pictures, Focus Features, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, Universal Brand Development, Fandango, DreamWorks Animation Film and Television and Awesomeness. UFEG is part of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
About Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Nordic (‘US’) was established in April, 2013 and launched commercially August 1st, 2013. The company is a joint venture between two major film studios Universal Pictures and Sony Pictures, which encompass the two studios respective physical Home Entertainment distribution. In addition, US manage the Nordic distribution of titles from Scanbox Entertainment, TriArt, NonStop Entertainment & Dreamworks Animation. Among the plus 3000 titles in the business catalogue you will find major franchise titles such as DESPICABLE ME, JURASSIC WORLD, SPIDER-MAN, FAST & FURIOUS, HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA, SMURFS, FIFTY SHADES as well as a broad range of reputable series such as DOWNTON-ABBEY, GRIMM, HOUSE OF CARDS, SUITS, THE CROWN and BREAKING BAD.