Press release -
Govia Thameslink Railway improves journey planning by launching new Live Map function
GTR has rolled out a new ‘Live Map’ function on each of its brand websites, following a successful trial on the Southern website. Live Maps are now available across Great Northern, Thameslink and Southern websites.
The first train operator to launch such a feature, the maps display live data to give customers a snapshot of how the network is performing at that exact moment and most importantly – highlights any disruption. Using a Red, Amber and Green service status for each route, customers will be able to see upfront if there are any issues in their area and be alerted to alternative routes.
Although passenger numbers are low right now due to the national lockdown, this will greatly help key workers and other customers relying on GTR for essential travel. The graphic representation shows users the network at a glance and will be a permanent fixture post-pandemic when passenger levels will gradually increase.
Tracy Hall, Head of Customer Information at Govia Thameslink Railway, comments: “We introduced this dynamic new feature based on feedback from customers, colleagues and stakeholders, which highlighted the value of visual aids in relation to service updates.
“We’re always looking at how we can improve interaction with our customers and we want to make sure our websites are as informative as possible. Launching this additional layer will provide customers with a real-time snapshot of our services, enabling them to better plan their journeys and avoid disruption.”
To aid usability, there are pop-ups with helpful guidance on how to use the map in addition to a key on the left-hand side of the graphic. When there are minor delays, the affected area of the route will show up in orange (10% of trains delayed by more than 10 minutes) and when there is severe disruption, this will show as red (20% of trains delayed by more than 20 minutes).
- Ends -
Notes to editors
- Live Maps are available across all GTR websites
- Service status for each route is automatically calculated using live running data
- Customers can click through to their local station to see Live Departures and service details
- The new feature also shows service status for other train operators across the GTR network
- The maps are compliant with accessible travel requirements and are fully mobile friendly. The software also supports social media output from the company’s brand channels
For more information visit:
For more information, contact the press office on 0203 750 2031.
Govia Thameslink Railway
Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) operates Thameslink, Great Northern, Southern and Gatwick Express services as follows:
- Thameslink – cross-London services between Bedford/Peterborough/Cambridge and Brighton/Horsham/Littlehampton/East Grinstead, and between Luton/St Albans and Sutton/Wimbledon/Rainham; plus services between London and Sevenoaks
- Great Northern – services between London and Welwyn, Hertford, Peterborough, Cambridge and King’s Lynn
- Southern – services between London and the Sussex coast (Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Bognor Regis, Hastings) and parts of Surrey, Kent and Hampshire (Ashford International, Southampton, Portsmouth)
- Gatwick Express – fast, non-stop direct services between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria