Press release -
Harlington rail user ‘shocked’ to win £5,632 in Key Smartcard competition
A Harlington commuter is celebrating after winning back the value of her season ticket through Govia Thameslink Railway’s monthly competition for Key Smartcard season ticket holders.
Graphic designer Amy Walster signed up for a Key Smartcard annual season ticket two years ago and uses it to commute from Harlington to St Pancras by train and on to Baker Street, London, by tube. She has become GTR’s fourth competition winner and was presented with a cheque this week for £5,632.
Amy, 24, who lives with her parents in Harlington, said: “It’s a lot better to have a smartcard than a paper ticket because it lasts longer and it’s quicker and easier to use because you just tap in and out. I was shocked to win the competition. I just couldn’t believe it.”
Amy isn’t sure how to spend her winnings yet, but she is considering splashing out on a holiday.
GTR’s Smart Ticketing Manager Sherisse Shelton-Smith said: “We were thrilled to let Amy know she was a winner. As Amy says, Key Smartcards are more durable than paper tickets and help speed up your journey with just a tap in and out. With the Key Smartcard, customers can receive Delay Repay notifications which can be claimed with just a click of a button.”
GTR’s monthly competition is open to Key Smartcard season ticket holders across GTR’s Thameslink, Great Northern and Southern brands.
Passengers can register for a Key Smartcard online at Thameslink, Great Northern or Southern websites - greatnorthernrail.com, thameslinkrailway.com or southernrailway.com – through the section on tickets. The Key Smartcard is sent to the customer’s address. Key Smartcard users can then buy tickets online and tap on a ticket gate or station validator to pick up the electronic ticket.
Key Smartcard benefits for passengers, compared to travelling with a paper ticket, include:
- more durable
- time-saving - no queues at the ticket office and a simple tap in, tap out
- more secure - lost Key Smartcards can be instantly cancelled and replaced
- automatically-generated Delay Repay claims submitted with just a click of a button
To enter the monthly competition, visit https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/destinations-and-offers/offers/switch-up-win-big
Govia Thameslink Railway
Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) operates Thameslink, Great Northern, Southern and Gatwick Express services as follows:
- Thameslink – cross-London services between Bedford/Peterborough/Cambridge and Brighton/Horsham/Littlehampton/East Grinstead, and between Luton/St Albans and Sutton/Wimbledon/Rainham; plus services between London and Sevenoaks
- Great Northern – services between London and Welwyn, Hertford, Peterborough, Cambridge and King’s Lynn
- Southern – services between London and the Sussex coast (Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Bognor Regis, Hastings) and parts of Surrey, Kent and Hampshire (Ashford International, Southampton, Portsmouth)
- Gatwick Express – fast, non-stop direct services between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria