Press release -
Rail improvement projects affect Great Northern and Thameslink services this weekend
Govia Thameslink Railway are advising Thameslink and Great Northern passengers planning to travel into or out of King’s Cross station this weekend, Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 January, to check their route and times in advance as train services will be reduced significantly.
Network Rail are carrying out major railway improvement work between Peterborough and London, and tunnel maintenance on lines in and out of Moorgate. Passengers affected will include Arsenal fans travelling to the Emirates Stadium for Saturday’s home fixture against Sheffield United.
The main changes to services are:
- Buses replacing trains between Peterborough and Hitchin as track renewals are carried out;
- Reduced timetable between Hitchin and King’s Cross, with five platforms closed at King’s Cross as part of Network Rail’s ongoing track improvement project;
- No trains between Finsbury Park and Moorgate while maintenance work continues in the tunnels;
- No northbound services calling at Hornsey or Harringay.
Thameslink services will continue to run to and through St Pancras station.
Govia Thameslink Railway’s Infrastructure Director Keith Jipps said: “We thank passengers for their patience while Network Rail carry out these essential improvements. Great Northern and Thameslink customers intending to travel in or out of King’s Cross or Moorgate should check journey planners in advance to plan their route.”
Passengers are also being reminded that over the following weekend, all lines between Peterborough and London will be closed while Network Rail’s track improvements continue. On 25 and 26 January there will be no Thameslink services between Peterborough or Cambridge and London, and no Great Northern services between Hitchin and London.
Govia Thameslink Railway
Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) operates Thameslink, Great Northern, Southern and Gatwick Express services as follows:
- Thameslink – cross-London services between Bedford/Peterborough/Cambridge and Brighton/Horsham/Littlehampton/East Grinstead, and between Luton/St Albans and Sutton/Wimbledon/Rainham; plus services between London and Sevenoaks
- Great Northern – services between London and Welwyn, Hertford, Peterborough, Cambridge and King’s Lynn
- Southern – services between London and the Sussex coast (Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Bognor Regis, Hastings) and parts of Surrey, Kent and Hampshire (Ashford International, Southampton, Portsmouth)
- Gatwick Express – fast, non-stop direct services between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria