Press release -
Hitachi Rail to accelerate rail digitalization in Sweden
• Hitachi Rail engages alongside Trafikverket in the first line part of the ERTMS roll out deployment on the Swedish core railway network.
• National program starts with the modernization of the vital line Malmbanan that links the Norwegian border and harbor in Luleå.
• Hitachi Rail will supply the ERTMS level 2 technology and related equipment along 140km, the third section of the single track line, between Gällivare and Boden.
1stMarch 2021– Hitachi Rail is proud to announce its technological partnership with Trafikverket (Ester) to roll out its ERTMS level 2 signalling system on the vital Malmbanan Arctic circle section, within the frame of the Swedish national program of railway digitalization.
The new contract underscores Hitachi Rail’s commitment to support its clients to leading digitalization and sustainability initiatives and its drive to be at the forefront of innovative railway technologies.
Within the frame of the new contract, Hitachi Rail will provide ERTMS level 2 base line 3.6 systems and related equipment to upgrade the 140km long line, including 14 stations as well as technical buildings.
In 2008 Hitachi Rail started the collaboration with Trafikverket through the Ester framework and started to deploy the ERTMS technology on Haparandabanan as ERTMS pilot line.
Eric Morand – Head of Nordic region says “We are very proud of Trafikverket again showing it´s confidence in Hitachi Rail and our contribution to the modernization of this vital northern line. Further to that initial step, Hitachi Rail will be prepared for the same for the upcoming initiatives for the remaining core network to be upgraded by 2030 (mainly ScanMed East and ScanMed West)”.
Notes to the editors:
- ERTMS stands for European Railway Traffic Management System. Hitachi Rail’s ERTMS solutions have been introduced and operate on major railway networks around the world, from Europe to Asia, Africa and Middle East, as well as from conventional lines to commuters and high-speed networks.
- Hitachi Rail’s commitment to innovation includes recent announcements on new services for mobility, such as the agreement to acquire the cloud-based remote condition monitoring company Perpetuum and the agreement with rail battery company Hyperdrive. See further information here.
About Hitachi Rail: Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey solutions. With a presence in 38 countries across six continents and over 12,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are proud of our global achievements, from our world famous ‘bullet trains’, to our signalling solutions and turnkey projects, state-of-the-art traffic management and digital solutions. Drawing on the wider Hitachi Group’s market-leading technology and research-and-development capabilities, we strive for industry leading innovations and solutions that can deliver value for customers and sustainable railway systems that benefit wider society. For information about Hitachi Rail, visit www.hitachirail.com.