Press release -
Hitachi Sets New Target to Contribute to a Net Zero Society
Company will Achieve Carbon Neutrality throughout its Value Chain by FY2050
Tokyo, September 13, 2021 – Today Hitachi (TSE: 6501, “Hitachi”) has underlined its commitment to address climate change by strengthening its own climate target to contribute to a Net Zero society by achieving carbon neutrality through its entire value chain including production, procurement and the use of products and services by FY2050. This bolsters the existing commitment of reaching carbon neutrality at all its factories and offices globally by FY2030.
This new target revises Hitachi’s previous target of 80% reduction by FY2050 which was set in 2016. Hitachi will contribute to the reduction of its customer’s CO2 emissions and continue to reduce environmental impact from the design stage in all its products to help develop world-class energy efficiency. Hitachi is also committed to working with partners in its supply chain, through its sustainable procurement guideline, issued in July 2021.
In addition, Hitachi announced it will spend ¥1.5 trillion (almost £10 billion) over a three-year period on R&D technologies to foster digital innovation. This will include research and development of high-efficiency products, energy management systems and hydrogen-related technologies to help unlock digital innovation to achieve a decarbonized society.
Hitachi is a principal partner of COP26 and is committed to becoming a climate change innovator, helping governments, cities and companies cut their greenhouse gas emissions. Hitachi aims to contribute to a Net Zero society through these activities.
Alistair Dormer, Chief Environmental Officer of Hitachi, Ltd., said: “We already had science-based carbon emission targets but these new targets underline our commitment to pass on a prosperous planet to future generations. Digital technology has a key role to play in helping society reach Net Zero and today’s announcement is another sign of Hitachi’s commitment. As a Principal Partner of COP26 and a social, purposeful business, we need to do much more than put our own house in order. Green technology in a digital world is a real engine for growth and it’s an exciting time to help cities, governments and companies cut carbon whilst accelerating our own potential as a climate change innovator.
At the end of 2020, Hitachi joined the UN’s Race to Zero campaign through the Business Ambition for 1.5°C, committing to aligning its business with the most ambitious aim of the Paris Agreement - to limit global temperature rise to 1.5°C above preindustrial levels. Hitachi has taken a socially responsible approach to business since its establishment in 1910 and seeks to do business in a way that prioritizes environment, resilience and safety & security. Hitachi’s Environmental Vision states ‘we will resolve environmental issues and achieve both a higher quality of life and a sustainable society in collaborative creation with stakeholders.
Hitachi's Efforts to Achieve a Decarbonized Society
(1) Achieve carbon neutrality in our own business sites and production activities
- Introduce energy-saving and renewable energy equipment
- Procure 100% non-fossil fuel electricity across all business sites
(2) Achieve the world's highest level of energy conservation in products
- Achieve energy conservation by developing products that take the environment into consideration from the design stage
(3) Support businesses that contribute to the carbon neutrality of society as a whole
- Power grids business to support the expansion of renewable energy
- Provision of EV systems and related infrastructure and energy-efficient high-speed trains and storage battery hybrid trains for the spread of carbon-free mobility
- Provide Lumada solutions that support the realization of a decarbonized society through digitalization
(4) Development of technologies to realize the transition to a decarbonized society
- Development of high-efficiency products, energy management systems and hydrogen-related technologies
(5) Work with suppliers towards a decarbonized society
- Issuing sustainable procurement guidelines (requesting cooperation from procurement partners in reducing CO2 emissions)
About Hitachi Rail: Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey solutions. With a presence in 38 countries across six continents and over 12,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are proud of our global achievements, from our world famous ‘bullet trains’, to our signalling solutions and turnkey projects, state-of-the-art traffic management and digital solutions. Drawing on the wider Hitachi Group’s market-leading technology and research-and-development capabilities, we strive for industry leading innovations and solutions that can deliver value for customers and sustainable railway systems that benefit wider society. For information about Hitachi Rail, visit www.hitachirail.com.