Press release -
New owner wanted for world’s oldest Post Office in Sanquhar
- Opportunity to own and operate world’s oldest Post Office in Sanquhar, Dumfries and Galloway
- Doors first opened in 1712 and has been in continuous operation since
- New owner would be just the 17th person to run Sanquhar Post Office
The opportunity to own and operate the world’s oldest Post Office in Sanquhar, Dumfries and Galloway remains available.
Sanquhar Post Office first opened in 1712 and is a popular attraction for postal and philatelic enthusiasts from across the UK and the world. Many visit to have their letters marked with a special handstamp bearing “The World’s Oldest Post Office.”
The existing owner, Dr Manzoor Alam and his wife, Nazra, have run Sanquhar Post Office since 2015 and are retiring at the end of May 2020.
Amanda Jones, Group Retail and Franchise Network Director, said:
“I want to thank Manzoor and Nazra for running this truly unique branch for the past five years. The opportunity to be a part of postal history doesn’t come along very often and any new owner would be only the 17th person to run Sanquhar Post Office in over 300 years.
“This branch provides a vital service for the local community ensuring that residents and businesses are able to access cash and do a range of everyday banking all at the counter. While the branch is for sale, customers should be assured that it is business as usual in Sanquhar.”
Nazra Alam said:
“It’s heart-breaking that we are selling this Post Office which has many special memories for my husband and I. We have loved our time in Sanquhar and have made many friends in this vibrant community. We’ve served many of our local customers every day for the past five years as well as meeting people from all over the world who have come to take pictures outside and with us at this historic branch.”
Sanquhar Post Office is on the market for £275,000 and it comes with a three bedroom cottage.
Up-to-date photographs of the Sanquhar branch are available for use. Please contact the Post Office press office.
About Post Office:
- With 11,500 branches, the Post Office is among the larger retail networks in the UK.
- 98% of Post Office branches are run with retail partners on an agency or franchise basis.
- The Post Office provides services central to peoples’ everyday lives; 99.7% of the population lives within 3 miles of a Post Office.
- We offer the UK’s largest fee free cash withdrawal network through our 11,500 branches, over 2,000 cash machines and 99 per cent of UK bank customers can access their accounts at the Post Office.
- We sell 170 different products and services spanning financial services including savings, insurance, loans, mortgages and credit cards; Government services; telephony; foreign currency; travel insurance and mail services.
- Post Offices branches remain highly valued and trusted, and are the focal point of many communities. For more information; visit www.postoffice.co.uk and to find out about a Post Office business opportunities; visit www.runapostoffice.co.uk