Press release -
Sony’s ZH8 8K HDR Full Array LED TV available to buy now
Sony has revealed the availability of its ZH8 8K HDR Full Array LED TV, which is expected to go on sale in Europe in early June. Bringing together Sony’s finest developments in picture quality and sound delivery alongside enhanced user experience, the ZH8 makes a compelling proposition for film entertainment lovers and gamers alike.
By utilising Sony’s best-in-class Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate, clear and precise picture quality is achieved for a highly realistic viewing experience. Even images filmed in 4K and 2K are upscaled close to 8K by 8K X-Reality™ PRO using a unique 8K database. Resolution of each subject is then optimised by Object-based Super Resolution to reproduce virtually real-world textures.
The ZH8 TVs incorporate Sony’s premium Full Array Local Dimming and Boosting technology. This 8K TV precisely balances light output across the screen to ensure scenes are full of breath-taking contrast. With zones of LEDs lit independently, Full Array LED provides more realistic contrast by making light areas lighter and dark areas darker. Contrast is further enhanced by 8K X-tended Dynamic Range™ PRO, which adjusts brightness for higher peaks in glare and deeper blacks in shadow.
The ZH8 8K HDR Full Array LED TV comes equipped with Sony’s signature Acoustic Multi-Audio™, which includes a vibrating frame tweeter – a speaker that enables sound to follow the action for a truly immersive experience. Independent amps are controlled separately to precisely manage sound positioning of this speaker in high tone areas, enhancing sound pressure and stability for more realism. Combined with its minimalist one slate design and thin bezel, the ZH8 TV allows total immersion in entertainment without distraction.
For the upcoming next generation gaming consoles, the ZH8 series TVs will support 8K 60fps as well as 4K 120fps high frame rate and fast response time via HDMI inputs to deliver their maximum performance for a cutting-edge gaming experience.
The new ZH8 TVs continue to deliver the creator’s intent with Netflix Calibrated Mode. This mode was specially developed to enjoy Netflix originals and reproduce the same picture quality on a TV as on a studio evaluation master. With Netflix Calibrated Mode, the creator's vision and intent is faithfully preserved. Further, the ZH8 is an IMAX® Enhanced™ product, ready to meet high-quality colour, contrast, clarity and sound, allowing to enjoy a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience that takes full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content.
Sony’s ZH8 8K Full Array LED TVs feature Ambient Optimization, a new technology that optimises picture and sound quality in any customer environment. It will automatically adjust the picture brightness to the ambient light in the room, boosting the brightness in bright rooms and reducing in dark rooms for the perfect view. It even detects objects in the room, such as curtains and furniture that can absorb or reflect sound, fine-tuning the acoustics so your sound isn’t compromised.
The ZH8 line-up features Android TV™ with the Google Assistant, Google Play Store and Chromecast built-in, which offers users easy access to content, services and devices via its extensive platform. Sony’s original user interface menus and voice controls are also enhanced for better daily use. With the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices, you may cast and control videos from YouTube with Google Home or change the channel or volume with Amazon Alexa enabled devices. Apple® AirPlay® 2 users can stream movies, music, games and photos to their television right from their iPhone®, iPad® or Mac®. The Apple HomeKit™ technology provides an easy, secure way for users to control their television from their iPhone®, iPad® or Mac®.
Pricing and availability
The ZH8 8K HDR Full Array LED TVs will go on sale in Europe at the beginning of June.
|Model||UK pricing||IE pricing|
Sony ZH8 8K HDR Full Array LED TV: Key features
Screen sizes: 85” and 75”
- Delivers Sony’s super high 8K contrast and lifelike picture quality to more users
- Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate and 8K X-Reality PRO; pictures are sharpened and refined in real time, and images are upscaled closer to true 8K quality using Sony’s exclusive 8K database
- New Frame Tweeter technology offers immersive experience through enhanced picture quality, slim design and Sound-from-Picture Reality™
- Offers a new backlit remote so customers can enjoy their viewing experience in darker environments
- Two-position stand allows customers to position the TV on smaller cabinets
- New Ambient Optimization optimises picture and sound quality in any customer environment. It will automatically adjust the picture brightness to the ambient light in the room, boosting the brightness in bright rooms and reducing in dark rooms for the perfect view
- TRILUMINOS™ Display reproduces the subtle nuances of colour, light and gradation from video lens to living room
- Dolby Vision™ and Dolby Atmos™ compatible
- Features hands-free capabilities
- Works with Smart Speakers, including Google Home and Amazon Alexa enabled devices
- Easy connectivity to most devices, including Apple® AirPlay® 2, HomeKit™
- 8K 60fps and 4K 120fps compatible
- Quick access to an array of content and services with Android TV
- Netflix Calibrated Mode ensures cinematic fidelity for the viewing experience on Netflix. Developed by Sony picture quality engineers in collaboration with Netflix colour scientists, Netflix Calibrated Mode delivers picture quality approaching that of a master monitor used for standard reference in motion picture production studios.
- An IMAX® Enhanced™ product, ready to meet high-quality colour, contrast, clarity and sound. Take comfort in knowing you'll be enjoying a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience on this TV that takes full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content.
- Custom Mode, along with Sony's other calibrated viewing modes, provides various viewing options to suit customers’ tastes while faithfully preserving the creator’s intent
– ENDS –
 Feature availability depends on country and availability of compatible products.
 Google Home device (sold separately) compatible with Sony Android TV devices. Requires compatible devices connected to the same wireless home network. Download the Google Home app from the iPhone App Store or Google Play. Subject to third party app terms and conditions. User must link compatible devices in order to control operation. Once download is complete, the Google Home feature may be connected to the Sony device to access the voice control function.
 Amazon Alexa enabled devices (sold separately) compatible with Sony Android TV devices. Amazon account required. Subscriptions may be required to access certain content.Sony TV and Alexa devices both require internet connection. Amazon, Echo, Alexa, and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
4 Apple® AirPlay® 2 and HomeKit™ features will be available on FY18 models: ZF9, AF9. FY19 models: ZG9, AG9, XG95 and XG85 and FY20 models ZH8, A9, A8, XH95, XH90, XH85, XH81 and XH80. AirPlay 2 and HomeKit features require an iOS device running iOS 12.3 or later or a Mac running macOS 10.14.5. Apple, AirPlay, HomeKit, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Firmware update is required via network.
- Lifestyle, Fashion, Leisure
- tv & home av
- about sony
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. From game and network services to music, pictures, electronics, semiconductors and financial services - Sony's purpose is to fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology. For more information, visit: http://www.sony.net/