Tag / Foreign & Commonwealth office
News • Oct 07, 2017 12:46 BST
British family man Billy Barclay, who narrowly escaped jail in the UAE recently adds his voice to the International campaign to free fellow Brits held in Dubai, Jamil Mukadam and Jamie Harron. Both face jail for offences frighteningly easy for any Western visitor to fall foul of. Billy believes the FCO ought to be much more vigilant in its warnings to travellers, and helpful to those in trouble
Related material Show all 15
- Brit facing 3 years jail in Dubai for "public indecency" after putting his hand on man in a bar so as not to bump and spill drinks.
- Dangerous UK FCO advice to Billy Barclay could have left him stuck in UAE indefinitely.
- Scottish family man Billy Barclay, accused of passing fake banknote, set to be released from UAE this evening.
Press Releases • Oct 05, 2017 10:04 BST
Billy Barclay was warned by the British Government not to proceed with advice from Detained in Dubai. They reportedly advised him to not take his story to the media and that doing so would make matters worse. This advice is alarming, as most cases have shown that active media campaigning has proved to be sometimes the only way innocent people detained in the UAE can gain their freedom.
News • Oct 04, 2017 11:44 BST
The recent case of the Scotsman, Billy Barclay who has been arrested and detained in Dubai for presenting one counterfeit £20 note highlights the FCO's unwillingness to properly warn visitors to the UAE of the potential dangers. The international community are shocked at the ease with which this detention was carried out and the lack of willingness by the FCO to intervene.
Related material Show all 24
- 3 British Nationals arrested in 3 months in Europe on Interpol notices issued by UAE banks for minor unpaid credit card or loan payments
- Legal professionals call for UK-UAE extradition treaty to be suspended
- LGBT community's outcry at World Coffee Championship being held in Dubai. Organisers rethinking location.