Press release -
Department of Health (National): Statistical Press notice: NHS Inpatient and outpatient events
The following statistics were released today by the Department of Health:
NHS inpatient and outpatient waiting: elective admission events occurring during the quarter ending 31 March 2010
The key points from the latest release are:
- The number of decisions to admit has increased by 64,000 (5.2%) to 1.3 million since the equivalent quarter last year. Similarly, the number of admissions from the list has increased by 55,000 (4.9%) to 1.2 million since the equivalent quarter last year.
Outpatient Referrals and attendances
· The number of GP referrals made has increased by 72,000 (2.6%) to 2.8 million against the same period last year. The number of other referrals made has increased by 52,000 (3.4%) to 1.6 million against Q4 2008-09.
- First attendances at consultant outpatient clinics have increased by 237,000 (6.3%) to 4.0 million and total attendances increased by 742,000 (6.2%) to 12.6 million compared to the equivalent quarter of 2008-09.
- Did not attend (DNA) rates have increased this quarter compared to the equivalent quarter of 2008-09. This quarter, the percentage of patients who did not attend for their first outpatient attendance is 8.8% a rise of 0.2% against the equivalent quarter of 2008-09.
Notes to editors
Full tables are available here
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department
- department of health (national)
- nhs inpatient