Supernova: The Musical
Our NIST Music Department has been hard on work preparing for their original musical Supernova. Featuring over 200 elementary student performers, as well as a large number of others involved in the production, it will be one of our most exciting shows. More details will be released as we approach the October showtime, but mark 14-16 October on your calendar now so you don't miss it!
East Africa by Bicycle
Jennilea Hortop, one of our teachers who rejoined NIST this year, spent over five months trekking across Africa as part of Tour d'Afrique to raise awareness and support for the Peace by Piece, a non-profit organization that supports children in need in Africa. She will be sharing photos, videos and stories of her journey on Wednesday, 1 October in The Hub Lounge at 6:00 PM. Learn more and sign up here.
The Maeramit Development Group
Since it began as a student-initiated component of IB Creativity, Action, Service (CAS), the Maeramit Development Group has been working with those living in the small village of Maeramit, Omgoi to improve their quality of life. This has transformed into a remarkable project, one that has drawn the attention of other schools and educational leaders such as Cathy Berger Kaye, who called it "one of, if not THE best example of international service learning...I have ever heard". The group made further progress during their most recent visit in June and has positively impacted the lives of the villagers through their work. Visit their Facebook group to see photos of the June trip.
International Parenting Network (IPN) EventIPN will be hosting Parenting Tips: How to Talk to Your Kids about Sex, with Dr. Pansak Sugraroek, on Tuesday, 30 September from 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Beyond simply providing advice about ways you can approach the topic with your children, Dr. Pansak will also provide guidance in helping them stay safe and make healthy choices. Learn more about the event on the Facebook event page.
Year 4 Parent Meeting & Student Camp BriefingOn Tuesday, 30 September, a meeting will be held for parents of year 4 students to provide information about the upcoming camp. It will take place at 4:30 PM in the NIST Theatre. You may contact Graham Wardle for additional details.
NIST Learning Community Seminar (NLCS)Understanding the Core of the IB Diploma will be held on Tuesday, 16 September from 9:30 - 10:45 AM. In addition to reviewing the Diploma Programme structure, a detailed explanation of the CAS, TOK and extended essay components will be provided. Visit the Secondary Blog for further information or to RSVP.
ECAs & SPORTS
2014 Falcon Friendship Soccer & Volleyball TournamentsThe ever-popular annual Falcon Friendship Tournaments will take place today through Sunday. In addition to drawing schools from Thailand, many others from the Southeast Asian region join each year, including schools such as UWCSEA Singapore. Going beyond competitive sport, the event promotes community and solidarity. We hope to see many of you joining in over the next few days!
The Falcon Sport Development Programme (FSDP)Is your child interested in playing a sport but isn't a member of a team? The FSDP allows students from Years 3 to 12 to take part in gymnastics, swimming, badminton, soccer, basketball or volleyball on Saturday mornings. This programme provides them with foundational skills that build confidence and teamwork, and also promote physical health in a low-pressure environment. Sign ups have already begun and will continue throughout the year. For more information about the programme, visit the ECAs blog and sign up here. Contact Dr. Amrish Tony with any other questions.
NIST PARENT-TEACHER ASSOCIATION
USA/Canada Country Group Happy Hour
Hosted by the USA/Canada country group, this event is open to all of the members of the NIST community. Join us on 23 September from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Roadhouse Barbecue & Grill. The cost is 500 Thai baht per person and includes a BBQ buffet, soda and tea. Other drinks are available at a discount.
Save the date! Pinktober is coming!Kick off Pinktober on 1 October at this annual NIPTA and NIST event, aimed at raising awareness of women's health screening for cancer. Come dressed in pink, buy pink cupcakes and pink accessories, and watch the school turn into a sea of pink. Details will be posted soon. Please come and support this worthy cause!
- 12 September: Back-to-School Dance (6:30 - 9:00 PM: 5th Floor, The Hub)
- 12-14 September: Falcon Friendship Soccer & Volleyball Tournaments (see details above)
- 13 September: Clean Up the Reef Day
- 13 September: Living in Bangkok at Bumrungrad Hospital
- 15-18 September: Year 7 Week on the Wild Side (WOWS) Trip
- 16 September: Preparing for Admission to Highly Selective Universities - for Year 11 Parents & Students (6:40 - 8:30 PM: Contact Brenda Manfredi for further details)
- 17 September: Love & Logic Parenting Course 1 (6:30 PM: Visit the Elementary School Blog for further details)
- 19 September: Cambridge Application Deadline (Contact Brenda Manfredi for further details)
- 19-22 September: Holiday - no school
- 23 September: USA/Canada Country Group Happy Hour (see details above)
- 1 October: Pinktober (see details above)
- 10 October: Diwali (student celebration)
- 29 October: Japanese Culture Day (student celebration)
Next Week in Sports
- 15 September: U13 Boys Tennis vs. BPS (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 15 September: U17 Girls Soccer vs. SHB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 17 September: U17 Boys Soccer vs. SHB (3:30 PM at SHB)
- 17 September: U17 Boys Volleyball vs. SHB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 17 September: U17 Girls Volleyball vs. SHB (3:30 PM at SHB)
- 18 September: U13 Boys Basketball vs. SHB (3:30 PM at SHB)
- 18 September: U15 Boys Basketball vs. SHB (3:30 PM at SHB)
- 18 September: U13 Girls Basketball vs. SHB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 18 September: U15 Girls Basketball vs. SHB (3:30 PM at NIST)