Welcome to an early edition of NIST News. With the long weekend set to begin tomorrow, we are providing you with our weekly e-update today. In addition to finding your pink shirt in the closet for Pinktober, be sure to read about an important change to the NIST parking area opposite Wattana Wittaya Academy. We look forward to seeing you next week!
Kick off Pinktober on 1 October at NIST!On Wednesday, 1 October, NIPTA & the PE Department will be hosting Pinktober at NIST. Students, don’t forget to bring your 20 baht donation and wear a pink shirt with your uniform shorts. Parents, it would be great if you could join in the fun by wearing pink and making a donation, too!
Pinktober is an annual event to raise awareness of women’s health screening and to raise funds for preventative health checks for our own NIST support staff. NIPTA will be selling pink ribbons & various pink accessories in the morning as the students arrive at school and will holding a cupcake sale during the secondary & elementary morning breaks. We would love our parents to donate cupcakes to the sale. Cupcakes can be dropped off at the Parent Lounge, or if you’d like to stay and help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcement: NIST Car Park ChangeAs we work to ensure that traffic on Soi 15 remains as smooth as possible during peak periods, we have examined ways in which traffic jams can be prevented. With the heaviest concentration of vehicles occurring between 7:15 to 7:30 AM, we have elected to close the exit from the NIST Car Park (opposite Wattana Wittaya Academy) for that 15-minute period, though vehicles will still be allowed to enter and park there. This will enable traffic along the main road to move as quickly as possible and help ensure the safety of pedestrians along the sidewalk areas. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Celebrating our Asian CulturesThe mid-autumn festival, more commonly known as the Moon Festival or Chinese Lantern Festival, is celebrated by many countries in Asia, including China, Singapore, Korea and Thailand. Having fallen on 8 September this year, it offers not only a time to celebrate, but also to think of family, friends and home. Read more about the meaning of the festival in a reflection by Fang Wang, one of our world languages teachers.
International Parenting Network (IPN) EventIPN will be hosting Parenting Tips: How to Talk to Your Kids about Sex, with Dr. Pansak Sugraroek, on Tuesday, 30 September from 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Beyond simply providing advice about ways you can approach the topic with your children, Dr. Pansak will also provide guidance in helping them stay safe and make healthy choices. Learn more about the event on the Facebook event page.
Year 6 Camp Parent Information NightOn Thursday, 25 September, a meeting will be held for parents of year 6 students to provide information about the upcoming camp. It will take place at 4:30 PM in the NIST Theatre. You may contact Christine Kelly for additional details.
Love and Logic Parenting CoursesParents who have already attended the Parenting with Love and Logic course are welcome to sign up for a free session entitled Back to Love and Logic, set to take place Monday, 8 December. The event will build on many of the concepts and approaches introduced in previous sessions. As elementary teachers at NIST already apply many of these principles in their classes, this is an excellent opportunity to learn more about the underlying principles. Further information about this session, as well as all other Love and Logic courses, is available on the Elementary Blog.
NIST Learning Community Seminar (NLCS)Parents New to the MYP will be held on Tuesday, 23 September from 9:30 - 10:45 AM. Intended for parents who are unfamiliar with the IB approach and philosophy, or simply those wishing to know more about it, the session will provide both an overview, and details about assessment and approaches to learning. Visit the Secondary Blog for further information or to RSVP.
ECAs & SPORTS
2014 Falcon Friendship Soccer & Volleyball TournamentsThe Falcon Friendship Tournaments that took place over the previous weekend again proved to be a wonderful opportunity to positively represent the vibrant NIST community and join in competitive sports action against other schools in Bangkok and the greater Southeast Asian region. Our Falcon athletes, coaches and parents served as wonderful ambassadors, drawing praise from the other schools that joined in the event.
In total, 28 teams visited for the tournament, creating a festive atmosphere that brought together the Thai, regional and international communities. Our Falcons were able to connect with old SEASAC friends from UWSCEA Dover and establish new connections as well. We sincerely appreciate the support of the students, staff and families who attended, and we look forward to continuing the tournament in the future as a way of building our community even further.
NIST PARENT-TEACHER ASSOCIATION
USA/Canada Country Group Happy HourHosted by the USA/Canada country group, this event is open to all of the members of the NIST community. Join us on 23 September from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Roadhouse Barbecue & Grill. The cost is 500 Thai baht per person and includes a BBQ buffet, soda and tea. Other drinks are available at a discount.
NIPTA Gourmet Cooking ClubWe are turning PINK this month to support NIST and NIPTA’s Pinktober Day on 1 October to raise funds for breast cancer awareness and screening. Every year we ask the NIST community to donate cupcakes for sale – and this year we request your help once again. If you love baking cupcakes and decorating them or would like to learn how to and donate to a very worthy cause, please join us. It will be a great morning of fun cooking and decorating.
- WHEN: TUESDAY, 30 SEPTEMBER, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- WHERE: CAB, GROUND FLOOR, NEW KITCHEN FACILITIES
- RSVP: email@example.com by Friday, 26 September.
Please note that ingredients and decorations will be purchased on your behalf and spaces are strictly limited. The cost is 300 baht per person, pre-paid, and all cupcakes will be donated for Pinktober fundraising!
- 19-22 September: Holiday - no school
- 23 September: Journey to Post-High School Planning for Y10 Parents (6:30-8:30 PM: Contact Brenda Manfredi for further details)
- 23 September: USA/Canada Country Group Happy Hour (see details above)
- 23-24 September: Official School Photo Session - EY (contact Khun Da for further details)
- 24 September: Love and Logic Parenting Course 1 (see details above)
- 24-26 September: Official School Photo Session - Elementary (contact Khun Da for further details)
- 25 September: NIPTA Year 5 Parent Coffee Morning (7:30-9:00 AM: The Hub Lounge)
- 25 September: Meeting the Needs of All Learners Coffee Morning (8:30-9:45 AM: Ratchapruek, 3rd Floor, Elementary Building). Open to parents of elementary students interested in how NIST supports student learning.
- 25-27 September: Bangkok International Strings Festival (contact Nicholas Trebesh for further details)
- 26 September: NIPTA Year 6 Parent Coffee Morning (7:30-9:00 AM: The Hub Lounge)
- 1 October: Pinktober (see details above)
- 10 October: Diwali (student celebration)
- 29 October: Japanese Culture Day (student celebration)
Next Week in Sports
- 24 September: U15 Boys Rugby vs. ISB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 24 September: U13 Boys Basketball vs. ISB (3:30 PM at ISB)
- 24 September: U13 Girls Basketball vs. ISB (3:30 PM at ISB)
- 25 September: U15 Boys Basketball vs. ISB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 25 September: U17 Boys Soccer vs. ISB (3:30 PM at ISB)
- 25 September: U17 Boys Volleyball vs. ISB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 25 September: U15 Girls Basketball vs. ISB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 25 September: U17 Girls Soccer vs. ISB (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 25 September: U17 Girls Volleyball vs. ISB (3:30 PM at ISB)
- 26 September: U17 Boys Soccer vs. Traill (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 26 September: U13 Girls Tennis vs. BPS (3:30 PM at NIST)
- 26-27 September: Panther Friendly U19 Soccer & Volleyball Tournaments at ISB
Ruamjai Heights Condo Available for Rent
230 SQM condo available on Soi 15, 6th fl., in front of NIST. 3 bed/bath, 5 AC, 1 room/bath for maid, 2 living rooms, storage room, dining room, kitchen. Fully furnished ( 2 40" TVs, electric oven, micro oven, 2 refrigerators, washing machine, dish washer, etc.). 2 car parking, swimming pool, fitness room, sauna, etc. 270 degree big balcony in living room & all bedrooms. Near BTS Asok and Nana, Robinson, Terminal 21, Bumrungrad Hospital, Sukhumvit Interchange.
Rental fee: 50,000 baht per month. Contact Robert: mobile 087-690-1168.
Cancer Care Charity Fun Run
Four Seasons hotel is sponsoring a charity run to be held on 1 November in order to raise awareness and funds for cancer research. We encourage members of the NIST community to visit their website and take part. Tickets are available by calling 02 126 8866 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org