It is with great grief today, that we receive the news that Kaci Kullmann Five has passed away. She was a political pioneer, an important role model for many women and, for decades, an important figure in Norwegian society. She was also a vastly important person to the Nobel Peace Center. As a member of our board, she has been a strong supporter in making the Nobel Peace Center and the Nobel Peace Prize laureates’ work relevant and current.
As the Chair of the Nobel Committee, she has been present at the Nobel Peace Center on important days in the Nobel Year. She has met the kids at the Nobel Peace Club with a curious mind, interested patience and a beaming smile. She has explained the background of the Nobel Committee’s choice of laureates to people in a popular and open manner.
Kaci Kullmann Five has been a member of the Nobel Committee since 2003, and was elected leader in 2015. She announced the Nobel Peace Prize to President Juan Manuel Santos, in October 2016, but was unable to attend the actual ceremony in December due to illness. She passed away on Sunday.
“Kaci will be deeply missed on the board, and by everyone who works with us,” said director, Liv Tørres. “As new to the job, a year ago, I quickly got good contact with her. She was impressive, humorous, knowledgeable, a warm person, good support and a fantastic role model,” said Tørres.
Our thoughts go out to her loved ones, who have lost a dear wife, a mother and a grandmother.
Facts about the Nobel Peace Center
- one of Norway's most visited museums with 248,266 visitors in 2015
- presents the Nobel Peace Prize laureates and their work, in addition to telling the story of Alfred Nobel
- is an arena for debate and reflection around topics such as war, peace and conflict resolution
- is internationally recognized for its emphasis on documentary photography and interactive technology
- presents changing exhibitions, engaging digital solutions, films, seminars and events
- is an independent foundation, with the Norwegian Nobel Committee appointing the board
- Olav Njølstad is the leader of the board, Liv Tørres is the Executive Director
- is financed by a combination of public and private funds
- the main sponsors and collaborating partners are Hydro, Telenor Group and ABB