Director of Studies: Vocational English Programmes
Bacolod City, Philippines
We are seeking a qualified and experienced Director of Studies to help us
- manage and develop a team of vocational
English language teachers
- liaise with management and academic
- implement curriculum changes
- design effective functional lesson plans
- develop feedback systems for continuous
- teach an average of 6 contact hours per week
The successful candidate will have
- a first degree in English or a related
- a Cambridge CELTA or Trinity Cert TESOL
- a Cambridge DELTA or a Trinity Diploma in
- at least 5 years’ experience teaching
English to Adults
- line management or teacher development
Evidence of the following will also help support your application
- a track record in materials and/or
- experience teaching Business English, ESP
or Adult Literacy
- an understanding of task-based learning
- experience of managing or coaching
- experience of voluntary or charity work
- project management experience
- soft skills such as:
team working, flexibility, and a can-do approach
BagoSphere is a social enterprise created to tackle rising youth unemployment in the world. We are the recipient of Singapore International Foundation’s Young Social Entrepreneurs Grant Program and an award winner of Start-up@Singapore’s Social Enterprise competition in 2012. In 2013, Singapore Business Review named BagoSphere as one of the top 20 hottest local start-ups. BagoSphere PH Inc. is affiliated to the Singapore operation.
BagoSphere’s vision is of a world where every person can pursue what they love, earn a good living, and build a better future for the next generation. We believe that every person wherever they come from, should be employed in decent work – work that is constructive to their development, social integration and offers a fair income to break out of subsistence. Our youth development solutions aim to bridge the skills gap between formal education and job requirements.
Director of Studies
As DOS at BagoSphere PH Inc., (Philippines), you will oversee all areas of curriculum development and teaching delivery, on programmes that prepare Filipino out-of-school youths for employment. You will also be responsible for the overall teaching-learning environment, including the effective management and development of teachers of vocational English, and making sure that courses and materials meet Business Process Outsourcing standards and regulations of external regulatory bodies.
The post will be based in Bacolod City, Philippines with occasional travel to Bago and Manila cities.
About your responsibilities and the standards we require:
A. Curriculum and Materials Development
- Design, pilot, and develop effective functional language learning programmes, in line with market needs
- Plan, develop, and maintain curriculum review and quality assurance for all programmes and ensure the continuous improvement of teaching and learning systems and processes
- Develop and implement teaching and learning processes and policies to meet curriculum goals
- Work with the leadership team to:
i. Research, design and pilot course materials
ii. Evaluate new modes of course delivery such as blended learning
iii. Liaise with engineering and IT partners to introduce a Learning Management System
B. Management of Teaching Staff
- Oversee, manage, and develop the teaching team
- Promote a collaborative working environment that motivates staff to deliver high quality teaching
- Manage the performance and development of teachers, including carrying out formal evaluation, reporting on their progress and coaching
- Develop and conduct teacher training workshops on digital aspects of language learning
C. Fostering External Relationships
- Liaise with external partners: academic institutions, BPOs, other training centres, and relevant regulatory bodies to further corporate goals
- Keep abreast of trends and issues in the field through professional associations and professional development activities
- Maintain mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders and partners
D. Administrative Duties
- Allocate classes and timetable slots, and forecast staffing needs, within corporate budgets
- Conduct interviews for teaching posts and recommend successful applicants for hiring
- Contribute to the development and communication of corporate plans.
- Make recommendations to management on all the above areas
- Teach up to 6 hours a week on regular classes
- Cover classes if teachers are on leave or undertaking training
This position offers
- a competitive base salary plus stock
options depending on experience and performance
- at least 2 years contract
- visa assistance
- medical insurance
- flights at the start of contract
How to Apply
To apply for this post or to receive more detailed information on the terms and conditions of service, please email us below.
Your CV must state education, qualifications, and experience, together with a supporting statement saying why you think you are suitable for the job. You should give the names and full contact details of 2 referees (1 academic referee and 1 previous employer).
Please write to:
HR & Finance Head
Closing date for applications is October 15, 2014.
Starting date is negotiable, between 5th January 2014 and 1st of February 2015.