Singapore, 1 April 2019 - National apex body for Public Relations and Communication practitioners, the Institute of Public Relations of Singapore (IPRS), is pleased to announce the formation of a new Council that will lead the Institute over the next two years – April 2019 to March 2021.
Mr LOH Bang Wei, Marcus will succeed Mr Robert CONCEICAO as President of the IPRS Council. As President of the IPRS Council, Mr Loh will be responsible for the role of IPRS as Singapore's industry champion and accreditation body for practitioners. The Institute today comprise a base of over 1,300 corporate and individual members.
Mr Loh has held various regional leadership roles in brand strategy and communication. He is currently Director for Asia Pacific Communication at visual analytics company, Tableau Software. Prior to assuming the role of President, Mr Loh served on the IPRS Council from 2017 to 2019 and was appointed a member of the IPRS Accreditation Board in 2018.
"We are entering a data-driven world much more contested and populated by a marketplace of ideas and opinions. As stewards of reputation, our member-practitioners stand in the front-lines of these new realities, each wielding considerable influence to ensure that the practice of communication management continues to be a force for good." said Mr Loh.
"I am humbled that many members who possess deep expertise, varied experiences and digital fluency have boldly stepped forward to serve in my Council. This reflects the transformation and diversity in our sector that is represented by IPRS today. I am also honoured that Robert has agreed to render steadfast continuity as a co-opted IPRS Fellow and immediate-past President. We are grateful for his guidance and the firm foundations that past Councils have put in place."
Past IPRS Presidents include, Mr Stephen Forshaw (2013 to 2015), Mr Ng Wei Joo (2009 to 2013), and Ms Krishnasamy Bhavani (2002 – 2009)1.
“IPRS stands at a crossroads. It celebrates its Golden Jubilee in 2020. I am confident that the new team under Marcus’ leadership, will not only unveil a memorable celebration to commemorate five decades of PR and Communication in Singapore, but will also show the way forward for the profession in the years ahead,” said outgoing IPRS President, Robert Conceicao.
More information on the IPRS 50th Anniversary Celebrations will be announced in due course.
- 1.Refer to IPRS’ website for full list of past Presidents: https://www.iprs.org.sg/presidential-roll-of-honor/
Newly-elected IPRS Council Members (2019 to 2021)
- 1.Loh Bang Wei, Marcus – IPRS President; Director, Asia Pacific Communication, Tableau Software.
- 2.Nisar Keshvani – IPRS Vice-President; Associate Director, Strategic Outreach and Communications, National University of Singapore.
- 3.Susie Wee – IPRS Honorary Secretary
- 4.Justin Fong – IPRS Honorary Treasurer; Director, Corporate Communications, A*STAR – Agency for Science, Technology and Research.
- 5.Clarence Fu – IPRS Council Member; Director, Newgate Communications.
- 6.Illka Gobius – IPRS Council Member; Managing Director, PINPOINT PR.
- 7.Lily Lim – IPRS Council Member; Senior Lecturer, Temasek Polytechnic.
- 8.Ling Wei Ming – IPRS Council Member; Head of Content Development, Voodoo Communications.
- 9.P Ramesh – IPRS Council Member; Head of International Marketing, PSB Academy.
- 10.Robert Conceicao – Immediate-past IPRS President, Director, Majic Communications.
Outgoing IPRS Council Members (2017 to 2019)
- 1.Robert Conceicao – IPRS President; Director, Majic Communications.
- 2.Mike Liew – IPRS Vice-President; Partner, IN.FOM.
- 3.Gerald De Cotta – IPRS Honorary Secretary; Director, Corporate Communications, Singapore Business Federation.
- 4.Chan Chi Ming Eric – IPRS Honorary Treasurer; Managing Director, PR Communications.
- 5.Joanna Wong – IPRS Council Member; Director, Singapore Institute of Accredited Tax Professionals.
- 6.Lily Lim – IPRS Council Member; Senior Lecturer, Temasek Polytechnic.
- 7.Lin Liangmin – IPRS Council Member; Public Relations & Citizenship, Samsung Electronics (Southeast Asia & Oceania).
- 8.Loh Bang Wei, Marcus – IPRS Council Member; Director, Asia Pacific Communication, Tableau Software.
- 9.Susie Wee – IPRS Council Member
Quotes and Bio, Newly-elected IPRS Council members2
Nisar Keshvani – IPRS Vice-President; Associate Director, Strategic Outreach and Communications, National University of Singapore.
"I am a returning Singaporean and so grateful to join the new IPRS Council. As we gear towards our Golden Jubilee, it will be a privilege to partner with our vast network and use this opportunity to identify current industry needs, and look toward redefining this industry."
Susie Wee – IPRS Honorary Secretary
"I am honoured to be part of the IPRS council and look forward to promoting public relations/mass communications as a recognised and accredited profession."
Justin Fong – IPRS Honorary Treasurer; Director, Corporate Communications, A*STAR – Agency for Science, Technology and Research.
“In the era of social media, anyone with an internet connection can create content. Without any filters, fake news abound. The challenge for PR is to maintain the credibility of the organizations we serve, and keeping the industry up to date is a critical.”
Clarence Fu – IPRS Council Member; Director, Newgate Communications.
“I am honoured to be elected to the council and to be given the opportunity to serve alongside a passionate and committed team. Given the dynamic nature of our industry, continuing education is vital for practitioners to stay current with recent developments, latest technologies, and industry best practice. IPRS is well-positioned to fill this gap with industry recognised certification programmes and an interesting line-up of talks and seminars by industry experts.”
Illka Gobius – IPRS Council Member; Managing Director, PINPOINT PR.
"I'm thrilled to be invited to the council. I see great opportunity to build on the outgoing council's great efforts to modernize the IPRS and to help shape the Institute's future for the next generation of PR professionals.”
Lily Lim – IPRS Council Member; Senior Lecturer, Temasek Polytechnic.
“It is an honour and a privilege to contribute to the foremost institute in Public Relations – IPRS, in raising professional standards of the profession and leading its evolution in a changing world.”
Ling Wei Ming – IPRS Council Member; Head of Content Development, Voodoo Communications.
“It is an honour and privilege to be able to serve the industry and share ideas with similarly passionate PR practitioners. Together with my council members, we look forward to a fruitful and successful 2 years ahead!”
P Ramesh – IPRS Council Member; Head of International Marketing, PSB Academy.
“With the evolution of the audience's understanding and absorption of media; the new committee has come in the right time to develop new ways and to respond better to the PR industry needs.”
Pinpoint PR (PPR) is an award-winning boutique public relations (PR) consultancy in Singapore. We specialise in science and emerging technology PR. We (and our clients) have won awards for events publicity as well as financial PR. Visit www.pinpointpr.sg