Residents are being advised that most bin collections will be a day earlier than usual over the Christmas and New Year period.
New collection calendars and a leaflet detailing the Christmas and New Year date changes are currently being delivered to all households across the borough.
Glenn Stuart, Bury Council’s head of waste management, said: “Christmas is a time when people can easily forget to put their bins out, particularly when collections are changed to earlier than usual as is the case for most people this year.
“We want to help our residents avoid missing these important collections so we’re encouraging people to help themselves by signing up for our free e-mail reminders.
“It’s really quick and easy to sign-up – just head to our website at www.bury.gov.uk/bincollections and follow the instructions.”
Christmas and New Year collections are planned as follows.
- Monday 21 December – no change.
- Tuesday 22 December – change to Monday 21 December.
- Wednesday 23 December – change to Tuesday 22 December.
- Thursday 24 December – change to Wednesday 23 December.
- Friday 25 December – change to Thursday 24 December.
- Monday 28 December – no change.
- Tuesday 29 December – change to Monday 28 December.
- Wednesday 30 December – change to Tuesday 29 December.
- Thursday 31 December – change to Wednesday 30 December.
- Friday 1 January – change to Thursday 31 December.
With Christmas also being a time when people can buy too much food, residents are asked to make sure that any food they can’t eat is recycled in their brown recycling bin. This will help save space in the grey bin and allow the food waste to be turned into valuable compost for use in gardens.
Residents with extra waste can take this to any household waste recycling centre in Greater Manchester. The centres will be open every day except 25 December and 1 January.Local centres are at Every Street in Bury, Cemetery Road in Radcliffe and Lumns Lane in Agecroft.
Press release issued: 15 December 2015.