During June there have been 11 burglaries through insecure windows and doors, mainly in the Radcliffe and Prestwich area.
Gaynor Mason, Crime Reduction Specialist, said: "What is concerning is that the majority of crimes happened overnight, which means people are going to bed leaving doors unlocked and ground floor windows open. I would recommend that you do a quick check around your home before you go to bed, No one wants to come face to face with a burglar in their home putting themselves and their family at risk."
Often house keys, car keys, handbags and other small items are stolen, which creates a lot of upset and cost changing and replacing everything. So check out the top tips:
* Keep out sneak in thieves - by locking your doors and windows
* Fit alert alarms to exterior doors
* Fit restrictors on windows
* Keep keys in a safe place out of sight
* If you’re going on holiday try to make your home look occupied
* Cancel deliveries of papers, milk etc
* Install timer switches on lights.
* Set the burglar alarm if you don’t have one get one
* Ask a neighbour or friend to keep a watchful eye over your property
* Become a member of Home Watch and you can be reassured that neighbours will be watching your property while you're away.
For more details and advice contact your Neighbourhood Policing Teams - see www.gmp.police.uk and click on Neighbourhoods or enter your postcode.
Alternatively the public can ring 101 and ask to be put through to their local Neighbourhood Policing Team.
Issued: 28 June 2013.