Cover4LetProperty - the let property insurance specialists - are warning landlords not to make insurance claims for small amounts – as the loss of any no claims discount (NCD) could see the cost of their cover rise by around 20%.
Richard Burgess, Director at Cover4LetProperty, explains: “With our policies - and typically some of those offered by other providers too – a 20% NCD is automatically deducted from the cost of the annual premiums.
“If you make a successful claim on the policy, however, then at renewal, the new cost will not include the no claims discount – meaning the premiums will appear to increase quite dramatically”.
- a landlord makes a small claim for £200 (for example, for the repair of a small leak);
- the claim is approved, and the landlord receives £100 from the insurer (as the policy has a £100 compulsory excess amount);
- at renewal time, the cost of the cover may typically increase by around 20% (due to the loss of the NCD). With the average annual premium amount being £208*, this means that the new annual landlord insurance cost may typically be £249.60;
- after that, the landlord will need to rebuild their no claims discount back up over the years.
Mr. Burgess says: “In the long run, landlords could end up paying out a lot more for the cost of their cover than if they had not claimed for a small amount. We suggest that in the event of a claim, in the first instance you contact your broker, as they will be able to advise on the next steps”.
* Cover4LetProperty stats 2017
With roots going back to 1946, our clients can benefit from many years’ experience in the landlord insurance marketplace. We are independent intermediaries and act on behalf of our clients in arranging their buy to let and unoccupied property insurances. Our service includes advising clients on their insurance needs, arranging insurance cover with insurers to meet those requirements and help with any ongoing changes that have to be made to their landlords insurance policies.
Contact: Stella Hulott, Speedie PR, Tel: 01843 831088, email: firstname.lastname@example.org