HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has announced the appointment of two new Non-Executive Directors.
Mervyn Walker and Simon Ricketts have joined the HMRC Board as successors to Philippa Hird and Norman Pickavance, who recently left their roles.
Both appointees bring a wide range of senior management experience to the Board, which is tasked with helping HMRC to deliver its agenda and maximise its performance.
Financial Secretary to the Treasury David Gauke said:
“These appointments provide a rich mix of Board-level experience in major corporations. They will bring new and further capability and credible challenge to Board discussions.”
Ian Barlow, HMRC Lead Non-Executive Director, said:
“I am delighted with these appointments. Simon Ricketts and Mervyn Walker both have vast experience to help HMRC face the challenges of the future. HMRC’s Chief Executive, Lin Homer, and I would also like to thank Philippa Hird and Norman Pickavance for their valuable contributions.”
Simon and Mervyn will take up their roles as Board members on 1 September. Philippa Hird retired from the Board after serving for five and a half years, and Norman Pickavance stepped down to take up an executive role with a private company.
Notes to Editors
- Simon Ricketts is Chief Information Officer of Rolls Royce PLC, a position he has held since 2010, where he is accountable for IT and business process transformation. He has extensive experience of leading large and complex cross-functional transformation programmes, in particular IT, manufacturing, logistics and customer service. He has also held senior roles at Scottish and Newcastle PLC, Cadbury Schweppes and British Steel. His broad experience as a Non-Executive Director most recently involved seven years on the main Board and Audit Committees at the National Savings and Investment Bank.
- Mervyn Walker has broad experience in a range of roles in large customer service and industrial companies. He has been Group Human Resources Director at three FTSE-listed companies – British Airways, Mondi and, most recently, Anglo American. He also has extensive experience of organisational transformation in large and complex organisations. A lawyer by background, Mervyn now holds a portfolio of non-executive roles.
- HMRC’s Board brings together six members of the department’s Executive Committee and six Non-Executive Directors, who bring an external perspective to the Board’s advice.
- More information on the HMRC Board, including its recruitment processes, can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/groups/hmrc-board
- Photographs above of Mervyn Walker (left) and Simon Ricketts (right) are available for download from the links below.
- Follow HMRC’s Press Office on Twitter @HMRCpressoffice
- HMRC’s flickr channel www.flickr.com/hmrcgovuk
Issued by HM Revenue & Customs Press Office
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is the UK’s tax authority.
HMRC is responsible for making sure that the money is available to fund the UK’s public services and for helping families and individuals with targeted financial support.