Mid and East Antrim’s urban beach in Ballymena is open to visitors. No need to sit in those coastal traffic jams when you have the beach right on your doorstep. The project, supported by the European Union’s PEACE IV Programme and managed by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB), was officially launched by the Mayor of Mid and East Antrim, Councillor Maureen Morrow on Saturday 6th July.
Hundreds of attendees enjoyed the event that included drumming circle, salsa dancing and an outdoor cinema. Everyone enjoyed the benefits of being outdoors in the fresh air spending time with family and friends.
Ian Price Designs designed the urban beach and Wilsons Construction Services built it in just two weeks – no mean feat with over 200 tonnes of sand, 3 beach huts, an extensive boardwalk and 400m2 of golden sand and lighthouse to install!
Speaking during the event Mayor of Mid and East Antrim, Councillor Maureen Morrow, said: “I’m really excited to see such a unique event for all the community which has really brought a taste of coastal life to Ballymena. My family and I were able to enjoy some beach fun without having to do the long commute, which was great.
“With lots of events planned for over the summer, it really will have something for all ages and it’s a great way to entertain the kids for free over the summer.”
So during July and August dust off those flip-flops, grab your favourite beach towel and find your perfect spot on the beach in People’s Park, Ballymena. Build sandcastles in the sunshine and feel the sand between your toes.
The space will also be used to host a number of activities for all the family to enjoy. These include an outdoor cinema, music, entertainment, beach fun, pop-up play, sand sculptures, seashell stories and beach Olympics.
Stay up to date with what’s going on council’s social media channels and share your snaps as well so we can share the fun.
Running alongside the Urban Beach this summer will be an outdoor activity programme just for teens.
For more information and to keep up to date you can go to www.midandeastantrim.gov.uk/peaceiv
- For Mid and East Antrim Borough Council media enquiries T: 028 2563 5037 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join Mid and East Antrim Borough Council on Facebook or follow us on Twitter
- The Special EU Programmes Body is a North/South Implementation Body sponsored by the Department of Finance in Northern Ireland and the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform in Ireland. It is responsible for managing two EU Structural Funds Programmes, PEACE IV and INTERREG VA which are designed to enhance cross-border co-operation, promote reconciliation and create a more peaceful and prosperous society.
- The programmes operate within a clearly defined area including Northern Ireland, the border region of Ireland and in the case of INTERREG VA, Western Scotland.
- The PEACE IV Programme has a value of €270 million and aims to promote peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland and the Border Region of Ireland.
- For more information on the SEUPB please visit www.seupb.eu