A loan by Moray Council means restoration plans for the fountain on Elgin’s Plainstones can go ahead.
The move – backed by all Elgin ward councillors – will entail Moray Council advancing the cash to the Elgin Common Good fund, with a repayment period over the next three years.
The loan was agreed by members of Moray Council’s Policy & Resources committee today.
A preliminary offer for £27,000 towards the restoration costs has already been made by the Elgin Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme (CARS). The council’s loan of £18,000, along with some funding from monies currently held in the Common Good Fund, will provide the balance.
Chair of the committee, Councillor George Alexander, said the B-listed fountain, which was built in 1844, was an important landmark to restore.
“The fountain on the Plainstones has stood for almost 200 years and is a significant part of Elgin High Street’s history. This investment will ensure it’s standing for many more years to come and will continue to be an attraction to visitors .”
Moray Council area stretches from Tomintoul in the south to the shores of the Moray Firth, from Keith in the east to Forres in the west. The council and its 4,500 employees respond to the needs of 95,510 residents in this beautiful part of Scotland, which nestles between Aberdeenshire and the Highlands.
Famous for its colony of dolphins, fabulous beaches and more malt whisky distilleries than any where else in Scotland, Moray is a thriving area and a great place to live.
Headquartered in Elgin, the administrative capital of Moray.