London, Tuesday February 19th 2013
Today, Nucleus, the UK brand and digital consultancy, reported its 4th wave of research into the growth of mobile website browsing in the travel industry. Key findings are:
- Mobile browsing of travel websites leaps to 27.1% of all traffic in the January 2013 survey, up from 20.5% six months earlier
- Growth rate accelerates over previous 6 months up 31.7% compared to 13.8%
- iPad drives iOS to an all time high, with an 88.3% share of all mobile browsing devices, up from 84.9% six months earlier
- iPad Mini reinforces iOS dominance, with iPad now responsible for 61.9% of all mobile browsing. iPhone 5 impact less obvious
- Android devices still failing to grow web browsing share, with penetration steady at 8% of mobile traffic
- BlackBerry slides to less than 1% of mobile traffic; Symbian in its death throes
- Luxury websites show highest mobile traffic with several now receiving more than 30% of their traffic from mobile devices
Peter Matthews, Nucleus founder and CEO, commented “our latest survey confirms we have entered the Mobile era. With mobile traffic growing at 31.7% in the past 6 months, we believe it won’t be long before mobile devices account for the majority of website browsing.”
He added “The other stand-out finding is the growing dominance of iOS devices for mobile browsing, particularly the iPad which now accounts for 61.9% of all mobile browsing. Some would say that the iPad is closer to a PC than a smartphone, but, nevertheless, iPad is responsible for a huge change in user behaviour and all websites now need to offer finger-friendly responsive design.”
“We remain puzzled by Android’s continued lack of mobile penetration in the survey, especially Android tablets, given the numbers shipped. For now we have put this down to inferior web browsers and compromised browsing experiences, but we need to really understand this better.”
Download a free copy of the report on the Nucleus website: http://www.nucleus.co.uk/thoughts.aspx
For further information, please contact Ella Matthews, Digital Analyst on +44 (0)20 8398 9133 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nucleus is the world’s only brand, digital and intellectual property consultancy. Founded in 1979, this independent consultancy specialises in the luxury, travel and financial services sectors.
Nucleus was the first brand consultancy to bring together brand and digital teams in 1995 and remains focussed on bringing brand experiences to life across all media and all customer touchpoints. Having spotted the growth of mobile web browsing in 2010, Nucleus started to survey its growth in 2011 and has now run 4 waves of research on travel websites.
Nucleus’ founder and CEO, Peter Matthews, is a regular commentator and blogger on brand and digital matters and has covered the birth of what he coined ‘the Mobile era’ in his regular thought-pieces, published on the Nucleus website and in various publications: http://www.nucleus.co.uk/thoughts.aspx
Nucleus is also recognized for practising what it preaches by backing its own ventures, including sQuid, the UK’s leading emoney digital payments platform – another area of specific interest.