Leon Hollinrake, an
elected Member of the UK Youth Parliament (MYP) from Rochdale borough, is
taking part in the annual Make Your Mark ballot, the largest consultation of
young people in the country.
In a ballot running untill 10 October, young people across the country will be asked what issues matter most to them in order to determine what is debated by the UK Youth Parliament (UKYP) in the House of Commons on 14 November.
Voting can take place both online at www.mi-voice.com/mym/ and through ballot papers issued in schools and youth centres.
Ten topics will be available to choose from on the initial Make Your Mark ballot paper, with the five most popular topics among young people going on to be discussed by MYPs in their November debate, chaired by the Speaker of the House of Commons Rt. Hon. John Bercow MP and broadcast live on BBC Parliament.
Last year, the Make Your Mark ballot surveyed the opinions of more than 478,000 young people, making it the largest youth consultation of its kind in the UK. This year, MYPs have set themselves a target of getting 1,000,000 young people to take part.
Rochdale MYP Leon, 18, who will be running the Make Your Mark campaign in Rochdale borough, said:
"This is an excellent way for young people to say what issues are important for them. Although the top five issues nationally are debated at the House of Commons – the top five issues locally will be given to local elected members so they know what is important to the young people throughout the Borough who they represent."
Notes to Editors
1. For interviews, photographs or comment please contact Thomas Hannan, Communications Officer at the British Youth Council, on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0207 250 8376
2. The UK Youth Parliament gives young people a voice on issues that matter to them.
3. The UK Youth Parliament is an initiative run by charity The British Youth Council
4. Over 600 young representatives are Members of the UK Youth Parliament. They work to ensure that the voices of young people are heard at a national, regional and local level.
5. For further details on the UK Youth Parliament please refer to http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk/
Rochdale Borough Council - We are a council which builds success and prosperity with our citizens and partners, whilst protecting our vulnerable people.