Maldon physiotherapist, Christine Brown, has been presented with a Professional Excellence Award, sponsored by Omron, at the Stroke Association’s Life After Stroke Awards.
Christine, 76, from Wicham Bishops, received her award from Team GB, in recognition of her commitment to helping stroke survivors in her community.
The charity’s star-studded ceremony, sponsored by the TONI&GUY Charitable Foundation, NEXT plc and Irwin Mitchell, was held at the London’s Dorchester Hotel on 16 November.
Christine, a clinical specialist physiotherapist is currently employed by Provide, a social enterprise organisation. She has worked in the stroke rehabilitation unit in St Peter’s Hospital in Maldon for 10 years and with neuro-outpatients in the hospital for seven years before that.
Christine said, “I have worked on the ward long enough to know how hard it is for a stroke survivor to rebuild their lives and I like to give them my all to help them achieve their dreams. It is the least I can do.”
Julie Pamment, Information Advice and Support Coordinator at the Stroke Association, who nominated Christine said, “Christine has provided treatment to hundreds of stroke survivors and shows no signs of stopping. Affectionately known as “Sergeant Major”, she puts the patients through their paces and is known to get results. She’s determined to make sure that every stroke patient in her care has the best possible chance of making a good recovery. It’s thanks to her hard work that many stroke survivors today are living independently once more.
“As committed now as she was when she started her career 41 years ago, Christine has a charisma that cannot be matched. This award is a fitting celebration of her outstanding career.”
To find out more about the Life after Stroke Awards please visit www.stroke.org.uk/lasa
Notes to Editor:
The Stroke Association
- A stroke is a brain attack which happens when the blood supply to the brain is cut off, caused by a clot or bleeding in the brain. There are around 152,000 strokes in the UK every year and it is the leading cause of severe adult disability. There are over 1.2 million people in the UK living with the effects of stroke.
- The Stroke Association is a charity. We believe in life after stroke and together we can conquer stroke. We work directly with stroke survivors and their families and carers, with health and social care professionals and with scientists and researchers. We campaign to improve stroke care and support people to make the best recovery they can. We fund research to develop new treatments and ways of preventing stroke. The Stroke Helpline (0303 303 3100) provides information and support on stroke. More information can be found at www.stroke.org.uk
- Christmas is the loneliest time to be lost for words. After a stroke, around one in three survivors have difficulty speaking and understanding, which can be terrifying and isolating. But with the Stroke Association’s support, people can find new ways to communicate. Find out how you can help at www.stroke.org.uk/lostforwords or search for #lostforwords
- The 2016 Life After Stroke Awards are sponsored by TONI &GUY Charitable Foundation. More information can be found at: www.toniandguyfoundation.org.uk
- Irwin Mitchell is over 100 years old and is one of the largest law firms in the UK. There are offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Leeds, London, Manchester, Middlesbrough (Consulting Office), Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton. Irwin Mitchell has also completed the acquisitions of Specialist Personal Injury firm MPH Solicitors and private wealth firm Berkeley Law in the past two years. For more information visit www.irwinmitchell.com
- Onecom is the UK’s leading business to business mobile phone provider and manages more than 335,000 connections throughout the UK. Onecom specialises in tailored fixed line and mobile solutions for businesses ranging from SMEs to large corporates. Onecom is headquartered in Whiteley, Hampshire, and also has offices in London, Cambridge, Shoeburyness, Cardiff, Southampton, Plymouth, Leeds, Telford, Norwich and Brighton. Find out more at www.onecom.co.uk
OMRON Healthcare is committed to improving the quality of everyone’s lives by providing clinically validated, innovative medical equipment for health monitoring, therapy and disease prevention. By looking beyond the technology, our real commitment lies in building healthy lives. We aim to provide a total healthcare management service, aimed at preventing and improving such increasingly common health problems as hypertension, respiratory problems, diabetes and obesity. Find out more at www.omron-healthcare.co.uk