Virgin Trains is launching a summer family promotion* on its East Coast route, offering 50% off family travel on selected routes between August 7 and September 10, for journeys booked between July 31 and September 2.
Whether it’s a kids’ day out or a summer family staycation that takes your fancy, there’s never been a better time to enjoy a trip to Britain’s beautiful east coast. From stunning architecture in York, shopping in Leeds, to the rich tapestry of history in Durham, you can get to these and many more destinations along the route in style and comfort for less.
With most schools having broken up for the summer, thousands of families hitting the road, and 37 million leisure trips predicted during the first two weeks of the school holidays**, getting to your destination is better by train.
Parenting blogger and mum of three, Becky Freeman of The Spirited Puddle Jumper, agrees: "Our family loves using the train wherever possible for long journeys, especially now we have three children in tow. I'm still haunted by a car journey back from Somerset to South East London that took seven hours as opposed to four because of motorway tailbacks and road closures. There was fighting, whinging, endless toilet stops and tears (mine!) - never again. Not only do we rarely argue on the train,
Suzanne Donnelly, Commercial Director at Virgin Trains on the east coast, said: "Our on-board Wi-Fi, refreshments on tap, movies, magazines and more on Beam, and, of course, toilets are the perfect solution to family travel, and help get holidays off to the best start and giving families more quality time together from the moment they leave the house."
NOTES TO EDITORS
*Terms and Conditions:
- 50% discount applies to lowest Virgin Trains East Coast Standard Advance and First Advance tickets only, booked between 31 July and 2 September 2017 inclusive, for travel between 7 August and 10 September 2017 inclusive (excluding 25 to 28 August inclusive), on selected Virgin Trains East Coast services.
- At least one child (age 5-15) must be travelling with the group.
- The 50% discount is valid for Virgin Trains East Coast train services only for journeys (in both directions) between the following stations Newcastle, Durham, Darlington, York, Doncaster, Retford, Newark Northgate, Harrogate, Skipton, Wakefield Westgate, Leeds, Grantham, Peterborough and London King’s Cross
- 50% discount can only be used when booked through the promotional link www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/family-promo and entering the offer code FM50.
- The code is valid for one transaction for up to eight Passengers with a combination of adults and children. At least one child (age 5-15) must be travelling with the group (each way) to qualify for the discount.
- 50% discount code can only be used once.
- Tickets must be booked by 23.59 on 2 Sep 2017 and are valid on booked date and train only.
- This discount is not valid for Virgin Trains services on the west coast route.
- Discount is not valid in conjunction with any other offers, discounts or Railcards and eVouchers.
- Tickets are subject to availability and there is very limited availability at peak times.
Usual Advance terms and conditions apply. Please click here <https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/rail-travel/your-ticket/train-ticket-options/advance-tickets/#Tab_436
** RAC predict a total of 37 million leisure trips will be made over the first two weeks of the school holidays. Saturday is predicted as the busiest day of the weekend for UK getaway traffic with 3.4 million journeys being made.
About Virgin Trains:
Stagecoach and Virgin are working in partnership to operate the East Coast and West Coast inter-city routes under the Virgin Trains brand. Together, they are on track to revolutionise rail travel across the UK.
The combined network connects some of the nation’s most iconic destinations including Glasgow, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, York and London.
Virgin Trains is committed to delivering a high speed, high frequency service, offering shorter journey times, more comfortable travel and excellent customer service. Customers consistently rate Virgin Trains as one of the top long-distance rail franchise operators in the National Rail Passenger Survey (NRPS) commissioned by industry watchdog, Transport Focus.
On the East Coast route, £140m is being invested to create a more personalised travel experience. We have already invested over £40m in our existing fleet, including £21m refurbishing the interiors and £16m towards improving the engines of our trains. Customers can now benefit from 42 additional services between Edinburgh and London every week, and an extra 22 Saturday services between Leeds and London – a total of 1.74 million additional seats since May 2016. 2018 will see the introduction of completely new Azuma trains being built in the UK by Hitachi.
The West Coast route has a proud record of challenging the status quo - from introducing tilting Pendolino trains, to a pioneering automated delay repay scheme and becoming the first franchised rail operator to offer m-Tickets for all ticket types.
Press Office: 0845 000 3333.