Skip to main content

Virgin rhino becomes a stowaway on Dublin ferry

Press Release   •   Sep 28, 2010 23:00 BST

Virgin Trains confirms that its baby Rhino - now officially named Minimus Rhinoceros after a staff competition was held to name him, with the winning name being chosen by Visit Chester and Cheshire - has been caught attempting to leave the mainland.

Minimus was first spotted yesterday morning in North Wales at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch railway station where he was encouraging representatives from Anglesey Tourism Association to take his photograph.

Later in the day, Virgin Trains’ managers were called to the Port of Holyhead, where Minimus had tried to stowaway onboard a Stena ferry. Wearing a captain's hat he had taken up residence on the ship's bridge. He was removed from the ferry and taken back to Crewe station, where he normally 'works' in the ticket office.

The latest escape comes just days before the full-size Rhinos, which have been seen around Chester - and at London's Euston railway station - this summer are auctioned off for charity.

Virgin Trains’ Station Manager for Crewe and North Wales Sam Dixon said: "We gave Minimus his own travel pass, but didn't expect him to just take off without notice. He told me that he had seen lots of passengers buying Rail Sail tickets to Dublin via Holyhead and wanted to see what the ferry looked like.

"Minimus is now back at Crewe and we are looking at how we can use him to raise money for Virgin Trains' chosen charity - CLIC Sargent."

For further information contact the Virgin Trains Press Office on 0845 000 3333

Notes to Editors:
Images of the Baby Rhino are available on request.

Virgin Trains operates intercity train services between London Euston, Milton Keynes, Crewe and Chester to Holyhead.

· Over 10 weeks from July 5 to September 12 2010, 62 incredible rhino sculptures became a trail through the city of Chester – and at London Euston station with thousands of people following the stampede. After a truly incredible summer, the Rhinos have finally left the historic streets of Chester and beyond. Gone but certainly not forgotten, the Rhinos are now preparing to take to take their place in the limelight for the Rhino Mania Auction on Tuesday 5th October. 53 beautiful rhino works of art will go under the hammer of Bargain Hunt's John Crane at Chester Racecourse to raise invaluable funds for charity. 75% of the net proceeds raised from the auction will be donated to the Black Rhino Field Conservation Project in Kenya and Tanzania managed by Chester Zoo and the Hospice of the Good Shepherd, a Chester based charity. The other 25% helps support and run the event. For a full listing of Rhinos being auctioned and bidding details visit

We love keeping everyone informed at all times. Here, in our Media Room, you'll find the latest press releases, as well as downloadable images and our informative and very handy factsheet.