A holiday on Mull has been highlighted in a new international guidebook as one of the most “amazing experiences” in Europe.
Along with Stirling Castle, the island is one of only two Scottish locations to feature in Europe - 40 Amazing Experiences, an e-book specially created to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Lonely Planet.
The invitation to “go wild on Mull” features alongside activities such as marveling at the Colosseum in Rome, chilling out in a beach bar in Barcelona and enjoying a boat trip in Southern Crete.
The ebook, which is available to download free at http://www.lonelyplanet.com/, says Mull “offers varied landscapes and habitats, from high mountain and wild moorland to wave-lashed sea cliffs, sandy beaches and seaweed-fringed skerries”.
It adds: “If that wasn’t enough to make you book the next boat over there, the waters around the island also offer the chance to spot some of Scotland’s rarest and most dramatic wildlife, including eagles, otters, dolphins and even whales.”
David Adams-McGilp, Regional Director at VisitScotland, said: “The team at Lonely Planet are renowned for offering valuable insights into some of the world’s most extraordinary places, and I am delighted to see Mull featured on their new list of 40 Amazing Experiences in Europe. An encounter with the stunning wildlife on Mull - as highlighted in this new guide - is an experience that is definitely not to be missed, particularly in the Year of Natural Scotland, and featuring in this guide will help to boost the region’s profile among international travellers.”
To download the guide, go to:
For further information contact:
Corporate Press Officer
Tel: 0131 472 2409
Out of hours media enquiries: 07699 766986
Notes to Editors:
- Follow us on twitter: @visitscotnews
- VisitScotland is Scotland’s national tourism organisation. Its core purpose is to maximise the economic benefit of tourism to Scotland.
- The organisation has three key roles:
- To market Scotland to all parts of the world to attract visitors
- To provide information – and inspiration – to visitors and potential visitors so they get the best out of a visit to Scotland
- To provide quality assurance to visitors and quality advice to the industry and partners to help the industry meet and strive to exceed customer expectations
- VisitScotland works together with tourism businesses to make tourism a success for everyone and ensure the industry continues to grow.
- The organisation employs 700 people and has offices and VisitScotland Information Centres across Scotland.
- 2014 is the year Scotland welcomes the world, when it hosts the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles and more than 800 Homecoming events throughout the country.For more information on Homecoming Scotland 2014, go to www.visitscotland.com
- The VisitScotland Information Centre network is a unique face-to-face channel engaging with around five million visitors and locals each year. Everyone who uses a VisitScotland Information Centre goes on to spend an additional £5.35, generating over £24 million for Scotland’s economy.
- According to a recent Deloitte study, tourism employs 270,000 people in Scotland in 20,000 diverse businesses. The same study calculates that the industry contributes £11 billion annually (direct and indirect impact, including day visits) and supports around 10 per cent of employment in Scotland. Almost 16 million tourists take overnight trips to Scotland.
- For VisitScotland’s press releases go to http://www.visitscotland.org/media_centre.aspx, tourism statistics and frequently asked questions go to http://www.visitscotland.org/
- Where possible, a Gaelic speaker will be made available for broadcast interviews on request (Far an tèid iarraidh, agus far am bheil sin nar comas, bruidhinnidh neach le Gàidhlig aig agallamh)
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- For information about business tourism in Scotland go to www.conventionscotland.com
- For more information on VisitScotland’s annual review please go to www.visitscotland.org/about_us/our_focus/annual_report.aspx