VisitScotland has launched a once-in-a-lifetime competition for a member of the public to start the world-famousEdinburgh’s Hogmanay 2013/14 midnight fireworks (heralding the launch of the Year of Homecoming 2014), meet the headliners Pet Shop Boys and get VIP access to all Edinburgh’s Hogmanay events in the capital city, while staying in luxury city centre accommodation.
The competition is set to create the first Homecoming ‘Brilliant Moment’ of 2014 as part of VisitScotland’s new £5.3 million marketing campaign (launched on 20 November by the First Minister) which encourages people across the UK and abroad to come to Scotland next year and share their #brilliantmoments online.
The prize includes:
- Once-in-a-lifetime chance to start the Edinburgh’s Hogmanay midnight fireworks on stage at the Concert in the Gardens
- Opportunity to meet this year’s headline act, Pet Shop Boys
- Edinburgh’s Hogmanay VIP experience: free entry to the Torchlight Procession, Street Party, Concert in the Garden, Keilidh and more.
- Three nights accommodation at Princes Street Suites from 30 Dec – 2 January
Individuals will be able to enter through Bauer media radio stations, Forth One, Clyde 1, Northsound, West Sound, West FM, Moray Firth Radio, Radio Borders and Tay FM. Listeners will be asked to register online from today (Friday 6 December) until Saturday 14 December when there will be a live on-air competition to find the winner. The winner will be able to bring a friend to enjoy the ultimate Edinburgh’s Hogmanay experience.
VisitScotland and EventScotland are working in partnership with the Scottish Government to deliver Homecoming Scotland 2014 - an opportunity for communities nationally and internationally to explore Scotland and celebrate the very best of Scottish culture. The year will begin with Hogmanay 2013 and end with Hogmanay 2014, with over 400 events happening in between.
Malcolm Roughhead, Chief Executive of VisitScotland said:
“It’s the very first Brilliant Moment of 2014, and what a moment to have with legendary pop icons, the Pet Shop Boys and being able to set off the world-renowned Edinburgh’s Hogmanay fireworks! We are inspired and excited by this competition and hope the public gets involved to win this once in a lifetime prize.
“2014 is the year that Scotland welcomes the world with Homecoming, the Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup and the MTV Europe Music Awards. It’s our time to shine and we know that this competition prize will be just one of many brilliant moments people will have in Scotland in 2014. It’s free to enter, so there’s nothing stopping you!”
Edinburgh’s Hogmanay & Edinburgh’s Christmas are produced by Unique Events & Underbelly on behalf of the City of Edinburgh Council.
Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Festival runs over three days from Monday 30 December 2013 to Wednesday 1 January 2014. Kicking off Scotland’s Year of Homecoming, The Torchlight Procession winds through the city on 30 December and participants will enjoy a special preview of the launch of Scotland’s Hogmanay with the ’20:14 Moment’ which will be seen around the country at 8.14pm on Hogmanay night.
The world famous Street Party will welcome 80,000 revellers on 31 December to enjoy five stages of live music featuring Django Django, Chvrches, King Creosote and Fiddlers Bid amongst others. The Concert in the Gardens will be headlined by Pet Shop Boys and the spectacular midnight fireworks rising from Edinburgh Castle and Calton Hill will be set to music and, together with the displays in Stirling and Inverness, will contain the 2014 bespoke sequence to celebrate Scotland’s Hogmanay and Homecoming Scotland.
VisitScotland’s £5.3 million Brilliant Moments Campaign was launched on 20 November 2013. Alongside a £3miliion TV campaign involving Chris Hoy and Nicola Benedetti, VisitScotland will run extensive marketing activity including radio, direct mail, sales promotion, print advertising, e-communications, social media and PR all with a Brilliant Moments theme throughout 2014.
Scotland 2014. A year of brilliant moments. Where will yours be? #brilliantmoments- Ends -
For further information contact:
Kate Turnbull Corporate Press Manager 0131 472 2324 / 0785401040
Notes to Editors:
- Follow us on twitter: @visitscotnews
- VisitScotland is Scotland’s national tourism organisation. Its core purpose is to maximise the economic benefit of tourism to Scotland.
- The organisation has three key roles:
- To market Scotland to all parts of the world to attract visitors
- To provide information – and inspiration – to visitors and potential visitors so they get the best out of a visit to Scotland
- To provide quality assurance to visitors and quality advice to the industry and partners to help the industry meet and strive to exceed customer expectations
- VisitScotland works together with tourism businesses to make tourism a success for everyone and ensure the industry continues to grow.
- The organisation employs 700 people and has offices and VisitScotland Information Centres across Scotland.
- 2014 is the year Scotland welcomes the world, when it hosts the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles and more than 800 Homecoming events throughout the country.For more information on Homecoming Scotland 2014, go to www.visitscotland.com
- The VisitScotland Information Centre network is a unique face-to-face channel engaging with around five million visitors and locals each year. Everyone who uses a VisitScotland Information Centre goes on to spend an additional £5.35, generating over £24 million for Scotland’s economy.
- According to a recent Deloitte study, tourism employs 270,000 people in Scotland in 20,000 diverse businesses. The same study calculates that the industry contributes £11 billion annually (direct and indirect impact, including day visits) and supports around 10 per cent of employment in Scotland. Almost 16 million tourists take overnight trips to Scotland.
- For VisitScotland’s press releases go to http://www.visitscotland.org/media_centre.aspx, tourism statistics and frequently asked questions go to http://www.visitscotland.org/
- Where possible, a Gaelic speaker will be made available for broadcast interviews on request (Far an tèid iarraidh, agus far am bheil sin nar comas, bruidhinnidh neach le Gàidhlig aig agallamh)
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- For information about business tourism in Scotland go to www.conventionscotland.com
- For more information on VisitScotland’s annual review please go to www.visitscotland.org/about_us/our_focus/annual_report.aspx