Following the success of The Ryder Cup Gala Concert at the SSE Hydro, an event organised by VisitScotland and DF Concerts, VisitScotland Chairman Mike Cantlay said: “It was a privilege to host the world of golf at The Ryder Cup Gala Concert last night and what an exceptional evening it was, from the energetic sets by popular music artists such as Midge Ure and Nile Rodgers to the remarkable and epic performances by our talented arts agencies. Of course, one of the defining moments of the evening was the introduction of the European and American teams on stage with the audience standing to welcome their heroes – wow!
“With the SSE Hydro lit up in gold to celebrate The 2014 Ryder Cup, alongside the Kelpies and Edinburgh Airport’s air traffic control tower, this really is Scotland’s moment to shine. Not only did the gala concert focus on Scotland’s incredible arts scene, but it did so against a backdrop of real Scottish people and real landscapes.
“Our objective is to take the concept of the Ryder Cup to a higher level and exceed every expectation for our international and UK visitors. With 250,000 spectators expected at Gleneagles this week, and a global television reach of over half a billion homes, we hope many will be inspired to visit Scotland and explore our awesome scenery, vibrant culture and spectacular heritage.”
Geoff Ellis, Chief Executive of DF Concerts & Events, said: “The Ryder Cup Gala concert was a tremendous success and a great curtain raiser for the Ryder Cup itself. To bring together a smorgasbord of musical, and arts talent plus the greatest golfers in the world on one stage has been once-in-a-lifetime experience and I’m thrilled to have shared it with thousands of people at the SSE Hydro. It’s been one of the most exciting and unique events we’ve ever worked on as a company, and I hope it was a night that all ticketholders will remember forever.”
Picture: Tim Gray
Notes to Editors:
- Follow us on twitter: @visitscotnews
- VisitScotland is Scotland’s national tourism organisation. Its core purpose is to maximise the economic benefit of tourism to Scotland.
- The organisation has three key roles:
- To market Scotland to all parts of the world to attract visitors
- To provide information – and inspiration – to visitors and potential visitors so they get the best out of a visit to Scotland
- To provide quality assurance to visitors and quality advice to the industry and partners to help the industry meet and strive to exceed customer expectations
- VisitScotland works together with tourism businesses to make tourism a success for everyone and ensure the industry continues to grow.
- The organisation employs 700 people and has offices and VisitScotland Information Centres across Scotland.
- 2014 is the year Scotland welcomes the world, when it hosts the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles and more than 800 Homecoming events throughout the country.For more information on Homecoming Scotland 2014, go to www.visitscotland.com
- The VisitScotland Information Centre network is a unique face-to-face channel engaging with around five million visitors and locals each year. Everyone who uses a VisitScotland Information Centre goes on to spend an additional £5.35, generating over £24 million for Scotland’s economy.
- According to a recent Deloitte study, tourism employs 270,000 people in Scotland in 20,000 diverse businesses. The same study calculates that the industry contributes £11 billion annually (direct and indirect impact, including day visits) and supports around 10 per cent of employment in Scotland. Almost 16 million tourists take overnight trips to Scotland.
- Where possible, a Gaelic speaker will be made available for broadcast interviews on request (Far an tèid iarraidh, agus far am bheil sin nar comas, bruidhinnidh neach le Gàidhlig aig agallamh)
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- For information about business tourism in Scotland go to www.conventionscotland.com
- For more information on VisitScotland’s annual review please go to www.visitscotland.org/about_us/our_focus/annual_report.aspx