London – 4 June 2013 - Shazam®, the world’s leading media engagement company, today announced its predictions for the songs everyone will be listening and dancing to as well as singing out loud this summer.
The list includes newly released singles that the Shazam Tag Charts indicate will be the next big hits as well as songs that are currently moving up the national charts. The list is ranked based on the number of tags that the single is currently receiving, and other factors.
1) Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” is probably the most hyped track this season. The fact that it has received four million tags and has been No. 1 on the Shazam Charts in 91 countries shows that it’s living up to expectations.
2) Like Gotye last year, Passenger’s “Let Her Go” picked up traction in Australia at the start of the year before hitting No. 1 in 13 international Shazam charts. With 3.8 million tags already, expect it to go stratospheric when it breaks in America.
3) Since being used in the TV show, Girls, Icona Pop’s “I Love It” has been a permanent fixture in the Shazam charts. Its daily interactions are still building, so don’t expect this track to disappear anytime soon!
4) Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” seems to be on a steep upward trajectory. It has already garnered 4.2 million tags but hasn’t yet reached its peak.
5) will.i.am’s previous singles “Scream and Shout” and “#thatPower” were huge with Shazam. His new track “Fall Down” with Miley Cyrus already seems to be going down well with Shazamers.
6) Krewella’s euphoric single “Alive” has been a mainstay of the dance-focused Shazam Beatport chart. With tags climbing worldwide, this looks like it could be a contender for the summer club anthem.
7) From the soundtrack to The Great Gatsby, Lana Del Rey’s “Young and Beautiful” is already showing traction on the Shazam charts.
8) Janelle Monae’s new album should be one of the summer’s most popular. The first single with Erykah Badu, “Q.U.E.E.N” is already receiving a lot of tags.
9) Shazam regional tags show that Rich Gang’s “Tapout” has been trending well in the Southern U.S.
10) Chance the Rapper’s “Interlude” is the most Shazam’d song from one of the most critically acclaimed mixtapes of the summer.
“Everyone has a particular song that reminds them of their favourite vacations or when they were out with their friends. These are the songs that we think will make Summer 2013 memorable,” said Shazam VP of Music and Content, Will Mills. “Shazam’s Tag Charts are recognized as one of the most accurate predictive measures for the industry to see which songs and artists resonate with people, driving airplay and sales.”
To date, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have racked up more than 18 million tags so far with their hits “Thrift Shop” and “Can’t Hold Us” – three million more than 2012’s top-tagged artist, Rihanna, received for the entire year. Plus, this year’s predictions have already started to create some noise. Baauer’s “Harlem Shake” has grown from a few thousand tags to a worldwide number one. Likewise, Shazam predicted Nicki Minaj’s album, “Pound the Alarm” would break big in the summer of 2012 – by the end of the year, it had become a huge international hit and went platinum in the U.S.
Shazam Tagging Statistics:
- Shazam has had more than one billion tags since the new year, an increase of more than 80% since the same time last year
- In the last year, 75% of number ones in the Shazam US New Release Charts go on to reach top ten in the Billboard Hot 100
- The average time between a track reaching No. 1 on the Shazam New Release Chart and Top 10 Billboard is 43 days
- In the last year, 72% of No. 1s in the Shazam UK New Release charts went on to reach No. 1 in the UK Official Chart – in fact, in the last six months, 100% have gone on to No. 1 or No. 2
Shazam tag charts provide reliable data that lets the industry see which acts and tracks are popular with consumers. For complete US, UK and world charts, visit the Shazamers.com blog. Additional information includes Shazam’s New Release Charts for the US and UK.
Shazam recently announced the industry’s fastest unlimited tagging for iOS and Android devices. The Shazam App includes additional unique features such as LyricPlay streaming lyrics – which scroll in time with the music – as well as Shazam Friends social sharing and artist information.
Shazam is one of the most popular apps of all time, used by hundreds of millions of people globally to connect to the world around them. Building on its pioneering leadership in music identification, Shazam now helps people discover, interact with, and share video, audio, or printed content on TV, radio, movie screens, magazines, newspapers, packaged goods, and retail stores -- and now Shazam lets music fans follow their favorite artists to see their Shazams and share in the thrill of discovery. The app has exceeded 20 billion total Shazams since its launch, and users Shazam over 20 million times each day. For more information on how Shazam has created new technology tools for brands to utilize data visit www.shazam.com