There is so much more to Old town than souvernir shops on Västerlånggatan. If you’re looking for something individual, we recommend Österlånggatan and Lilla Nygatan and Stora Nygatan in Gamla Stan. These smaller and charming streets are home to all manner of small boutiques offering a wide range of Swedish and Nordic crafts, design, toys maritime antiques and atmospheric cafés and restaurants.
Restaurants and cafees:
- Bistro and Grill Ruby - The sister restaurants Bistro Ruby and Grill Ruby sit side by side in Gamla Stan, each with its own signature style reflected in the menu and décor. Österlånggatan 14.
- Den Gyldene Freden - Classic Swedish restaurant with strong historic connections. Österlånggatan 51.
- Sven Vintappares Café - Charming café and hotel in Gustavian style. Sven Vintappares gränd
- Chaikhana - Tea house Chaikhana in the Old Town (Gamla Stan) serves first-class teas from around the world. Svartmangatan 23.
- Djuret – This restaurant serves the meat of one animal at a time, from head to tail. The menu consists of various cuts of meat from the same animal. Svinet (“The Pig”) is a summer outdoor pork barbecue restaurant. Lilla Nygatan 5,
- Pubologi – Not a restaurant, not a pub, not a bar, but a hybrid of them all. Stora Nygatan 20, Frantzén/Lindeberg – Two stars in Guide Michelin and numerous awards. An Australian top chef fell in love with the concept and decided to imitate it. Lilla Nygatan 21,
- Le Rouge – French gourmet restaurant in medieval vaults. The bar has quickly become one of Stockholm’s most popular hang-outs. Brunnsgränd 2-4/Österlånggatan,
- Sinne Minne - Here you’ll find Swedish sheepskin products, designed and made by Sinne Minne. Österlånggatan 41.
- Iris hantverk - Contemporary handicraft and brushes made by blind. Västerlånggatan 24.
- Kalikå - Toys, children’s clothes and gifts, where modern Swedish design meets old-fashioned classics. Österlånggatan 18.
- Castor - hand-made items from Swedish crafts people who jointly own and run the store. Österlånggatan 27.
- Seaborne Fartygsmagasinet - Maritime antiques and collectables. This store specializes in antiques and collectables with a martitime connection. Österlånggatan 19+33.
- The English bookshop – Lilla Nygatan 11.
- Comics Heaven – Best place to find vintage comic albums. Stora Nygatan 23.