- Initiating or maintaining exercise after cancer diagnosis can support recovery *. Research shows that exercise such as Yoga, can have a positive influence on life after cancer, recovery rates, recurrence and length of life. (Review of 71 Cohort studies, British Journal of Sports Medicine)
- Free online yoga for blood cancer patients: Online live yoga service Yoogaia and
ablood cancer charity, Bloodwise will offer free online yoga memberships to blood cancer patients in recovery.
- Everyone can help to beat blood cancer by doing yoga: Sign up to Yoogaia during 4th – 14th February and Yoogaia will donate £1 to Bloodwise for each new user – raising money for vital blood cancer research.
Yoogaia.com, the world’s first fully interactive yoga online studio, has pledged its support to help fund the charity’s vital research, projects and patient support services that support the 38,000 people affected by blood cancer each year.
Research has been released to show a positive connection between yoga and meditation and recovery rates in patients, as this type of exercise is gentle and low impact but has great effect on the connection between mind and body, especially in the aftermath of grueling cancer treatment such as chemotherapy.
The fundraising campaign is the start of a long term joint initiative between Yoogaia and the UK’s largest blood cancer charity with Yoogaia offering free online yoga memberships to all Bloodwise blood cancer patients. Online yoga enables them to have a better patient experience and quality of life post diagnosis, despite many being homebound due to risk of infection. The partnership aims to beat blood cancer together and spread wellbeing wherever possible.
Londoner Carly Wilton, who was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma in 2010, practices yoga to help with side effects from her treatment. She says: “After successfully completing treatment for lymphoma I was left with mild secondary lymphoedema in my legs. Practicing yoga once a week has helped me to keep this under control, working closely with my teacher to focus on poses, which encourage lymphatic circulation via stretching and deep breathing. She also identified some poses, which deal with particular areas of blockage in my lymph nodes. Doing Yoga has left me more relaxed and helped with my recovery.”
“We hope that as many people as possible sign up to our service during the 4th -14th February campaign and help us to raise money for the vital work of Bloodwise. Participating is free and easy, and you don’t need any previous yoga experience to enjoy the classes.” says Mikko, Petaja, the CEO of Yoogaia.
Diana Jupp, Director of Patient Services, adds: “We are really excited to be working with Yoogaia to improve the lives of blood cancer patients. This partnership not only promises to raise money for Bloodwise, but the online yoga classes provide patients with the opportunity to practice yoga in the comfort of their own home - an important consideration and option for any patient at risk of infection or experiencing tiredness as a result of chemotherapy treatment. The more people that sign up to try Yoogaia between 4 to 14 February, the more people affected by blood cancer that we can help, so we encourage you to give it a go!”
For more information, case studies, press trial codes and interview requests please contact firstname.lastname@example.org 07595 984476
5 Facts about Yoogaia
1.Yoogaia is the only live, interactive yoga studio in the world. During the live classes student can switch on their camera and have a professional teacher instruct them on an individual basis.
2. Yoogaia has studios in London, Helsinki, Berlin and Hong Kong. Classes are available in English, Finnish and German.
3. Yoogaia’s App is available in App Store and Google Play. The App was selected to Best of 2015 collection among more than 1,5 mobile applications available in the App Store in the UK.
4. In addition to more than 100
of live classes a week, all classes are available as live recordings 24/7 and via app you can download to your mobile – when internet is not available.
5. Currently, Yoogaia offers a broad selection of classes including Vinyasa Flow, Iyengar, Astangha, Kundalini, Yin-yoga, Pilates ….